2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Are Kinda New To Bay Fishing And Would Like To Go To Matagorda This Weekend. I Am Planning On Putting In At The Harbor But We Only Have A Bass Boat. Any Suggestions On Where We Can Go? I Have Maps And A Gps But Don't Know The Area. Will My Fishing Areas Be Limited By This Boat? My 13 Year Old Just Wants 1 Good Fishing Trip Before Schools Starts. We Have Had Problems This Year, Blowing The Power Head On The Motor. I Am Getting The Boat Back Tomorrow And We Are Going To Fish Saturday Afternoon And Sunday. Any Help Of Tips Would Be Appreciated. We Throw Lures At Bass And Have Some Soft Plastics That We Are Willing To Try With The Specks But I Think We Will Have More Confidence With Live Bait. Thanks For Any Help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anything that is not stainless or saltwater proof must not be used...Like trolling motor and equipment in general.. When you get home go to a car wash and realllllly wash everything down....Things like pumps for live baitwells and such will eventually be sacraficial. Not the best idea you ever had...No is still a valid answer to kids!

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
JS3TX,

Enjoy the weekend. As for the bass boat I think you'd be fine, just flush everything before leaving Matagorda at the car wash down the road from the Harbor. I don't know if I can help you find fish, cause I havn't fished Matagorda in a while, and don't know what the water looks like. If I was in your shoes and with the north wind I'd try cuts off of the Intercoastal or go in the Diversion Channel. With kids and bait, I'd look for a cut off of deeper water anchor and fish the moving tides. I've had good luck in the Diversion Channel(if it is clear), run down to where the dead trees are on both sides of the banks, stay in the middle of the channel and you'll be fine. There is a 8" PVC pipe stinking out of the water, to the right is a cut. Fish that cuts mouth, also on the left is a piling marker, fish the trees like you are bass fishing with assasins or suspending lures(in 4-8 foot of water). The diversion channel would be a safe and close ride for you and your kid, plus from the Harbor you'll get to show your kid the locks. They are fun to drive thru. Good luck

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Don't worry about it!!!

I agree that a Bass boat is not the best thing for salt, but as long as it floats and runs, you will be OK. The chance to take your kid on an exciting bay trip is worth any extra cleaning up that you will have to do. Before I got my Whaler, I took my 1976 Glastron Bass boat to the bay at least 10-12 times. I even took it out to the jetties on several occations (weather/conditions permitting). I just washed it down really good after each trip. I also try to get to the lake within 48 hr of going to the bay and run the boat for 30-45 min. As a matter of fact, I am still using the motor from my bass boat on my Whaler. I can't put you on any fish but sometimes catching fish is not as important. And besides, do you plan on keeping your boat forever or do want to use it for what it was made for, FISHING!!
Have fun and good luck!

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
The diversion channel is a good place to start. I don't know how well that's marked on the maps though so here are some directions -

When you leave Matagorda Harbor, turn right (SE) into the ICW and go through the swing bridge (you may have to wait a little while for him to open it depending on the time of day). Past the swing bridge, the channel will split, to the left is a bypass that takes you out to the Jetties and the Gulf, keep to the right and go through the West locks. Just past those, you intersect with the Colorado River, hang a left into the river and follow it down. A little ways down, you're going to see a channel off to the right, that's the diversion channel. Proceed slowly throw that area as there are parts of it that get quite shallow.

Some other options are to keep going down the ICW and you'll see some small lakes and cuts on the N side of the channel. A few miles down, there is a little creek that runs in from the N and then into West Bay. Again, this get shallow but it's protected water with a N wind and there may be fish in it. A little further down is the main cut into W Matagorda Bay.

If you go the other way out of the harbor, the cut into E Matagorda is about 5 miles down. Right inside the cut there is a tripod looking thing. Sometimes drifting that will produce fish. You'll also have the whole of the N shoreline to work if you want.

Good luck! Hope you guys do well!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would try the surf, or the jetties on the west side this weekend. The weather is going to be good and the action in the surf has been real good. if you use bait you can catch small trout tell your arms fall off. Sounds like what your boy is looking for..

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
I agree with BG and Chickenkiller. One lake to look for off to the right like bg was talking about will have some car parts, rearends, frontends, doors, tires, stuff like that. Run back in it, but it will get shallow when you get back to the lake. Troll in and start fishing the right edge of the lake looking for grass beds. Caught good size reds back there. Around five miles from the locks on the north side of the ICW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys! My Son Has Read This And Is Going Crazy With Anticipation. We Are Going To Give It A Try And Maybe (probably) In January, We Will Be Leaving The Boat Show With A New Bay Boat. I Think The Expenence Of Dealing With The Salt Water Will Be Cheap Compared To The Exitement This Trip Is Going To Give Us. Even If We Do Not Catch Many Fish Its Always A Good Day When Your Son Wants To Go Fishing With His Dad. I Feel Very Privilaged To Have A Son Who Enjoys The Outdoors As Much As I Do. I Hope He'll Be My Fishing Partner For Life. Thanks Again For Letting Us Know Some Places To Go. I'll Report On Monday.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Fishing matagorda in bass boat

JT3TX

Suggestions...
Take a hard look at those maps you have and note just how shallow East and West Matagorda bays really are...
Go slow and watch where the other boats are running..
Remember how you go out avoiding the reallw shallow areas and be darn sure to come back the same route..
Take a push pole with ya just in case ya get in some shallows and get stuck in the ole mud.
I would be certain to have my cell phone on board..
I certainly still remember and I have been around since Moby **** was a Minnow, all of my fishing trips with my Dad over in Louisiana..
Hope you and your son have a great weekend and catch lots of big fish...
frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts