2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Certified Man Card Holder!
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....help a great family for Christmas.

Gennifer and I have a great family at our church that could really use some 2cool help. I have never asked for anything like this before but this man's transition has been such an inspiration for me and my wife that I want to help him out for Christmas.

I met Matt a few years ago when he and his family started to visit our church after moving here to find work for himself and his wife. When we first met I could tell that he was different. He had trust issues, he had severe anger issues, he had relationship issues, he had faith issues. He had long unkempt hair and was covered in tattoos. He was callused and unapproachable. He was Matt.

He came for a few Sundays in a row and I quickly figured out that Matt was going to need a lot of love to overcome so many of his personal issues. And that is just what we did. Our church welcomed him and his family in with open arms. Our pastor, an elder, and I worked with Matt for almost 1 year before he finally broke. I was blessed with the opportunity to witness Matt's transformation and it was incredible.

Three Sundays ago, after we had finished worship, our pastor started in on what I thought was going to be another sermon in his series on "A Journey To Freedom" when he started describing a man: a man who had battled addiction, disgrace, incarceration, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and rejection. He was talking about Matt.

After a brief introduction, the man that came into our church doors angry and bitter 1 year ago took a seat at the front of our church and preached. He preached through his life and trials, he preached through his abuse and incarceration, he preached through his addiction and redemption, he preached one of the most powerful sermons I had ever heard. He was broken and wept and he did it with pleasure. He was a new Matt.

As Matt and his family have started to make positive changes in their lives, they have also been experiencing more and more negative events. Matt and his wife worked at a restaurant in Webster that closed down about 2 months ago. Since then, Matt has been able to get a part time job cooking pizzas at Little Caesars but it is not providing enough work to support his family. Matt's wife has not been able to find full time work either but is interested in renewing her EMT's license and eventually going back to nursing school. She has been able to find work part time as a substitute teacher but even with these two jobs there is not enough income to support the family. They have 3 children under the age of 5 and they live in Hitchcock and could use some help.

So what am I asking for?

1.Well, first I think they could use all the prayer support that they can get right now. Matt still struggles with many of the same problems that he always has but he now has the support and self motivation to overcome these obstacles. His wife is also changing a lot and could use prayer support as well.
2.Matt could use a job. I am working on getting a resume from him but he has designed some websites, worked in a kitchen in a few restaurants, done some construction work, and he is a very talented musician. He designed our church website: http://www.faith-bible-church.org
3.Financial help till they can get back on their feet. They live in a small rent house in Hitchcock. I do not know rental costs per month but I know that they could use any help they can get.
4.Food and clothing.
5.Appliances: Washer and dryer and maybe other appliances.
6.Help finding a better more affordable rent home. They live in a pretty run down rent house in Hitchcock which needs a lot of repairs but the owner will not do any improvements to the home.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I will answer questions or get you more information. My wife and I are going to sponsor them for Christmas personally and through the KSBJ "Giving Tree" but we could still use and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
William and Gennifer McFarland

PS: If you ever want to meet Matt in person, he is the lead guitar player at our church, Faith Bible Church, http://www.faith-bible-church.org/. He does not know what we are doing for him so don't send him an e-mail or talk with him about it in person but if you get to meet him at church then feel free to let him know that you are praying for him.

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
Matt, my wife and I would be more than happy to help! I'd like to do the same thing we did for Ms Lois and her kids.

I'll donate $100 per month for the next 12 months. Please get me a name and address where we can send this monthly donation.

How about you other 2coolers? What can you do to help this family?

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, Trodery, you have no idea how much this is going to bless this family. I will send you a PM with their address shortly. Greenie to ya.

The kids:

Their oldest, Preston, is a 5 year old boy and loves trains, spider man, batman, trucks, and music. (Drums)

Next, Morgan, is a 3 year old girl and she likes baby dolls, princess stuff, tinkerbell, puzzles, and loves guitars. Pink and purple are her favorite colors.

Last, Keegan, is an 18 month old boy he loves music and toys that make music and sounds and anything his brother and sister has that he is not supposed to have, haha!

Thanks guys and gals!

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have been unemployed for 6 months ,i will give 50.00 to help. give me information where to send. not much but it might help a little.
Thanks Jimmie. PM on its way.

·
Saved by Jesus Blessed by God
2,767 Posts
willy pm me the info also I'll do what I can
.please keep us updated

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the support so far guys and gals! I'll respond to all the PM's and phone calls tomorrow afternoon.:texasflag

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
Wow, Trodery, you have no idea how much this is going to bless this family. I will send you a PM with their address shortly. Greenie to ya.
Got your PM with all the info Willy, we will get them set up!

Thanks for looking out for these folks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Big Willy, Please send PM with best address to forward some Christmas Cheer to Matt and his family. Is there an H.E.B. in Matt's area for giftcard?

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey 2coolers. If you want to donate to the Christmas Fund for the family through paypal you can send funds to my paypal account email:

[email protected]

If you send a paypal donation then just note for Matt. Funds will be allocated appropriately for either presents or living expenses.

Gennifer and I are going to be purchasing presents for the kids, Matt, and his wife and then at least a $200 Walmart giftcard for them to use for groceries and necessities.

The response so far has been overwhelming. I new I could count on 2coolers to help out! Remember to keep praying for Matt and his family.

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2coolers,
As more and more people are taking interest in helping out I am going to have a hard time keeping up with the PM requests. Please help me out by posting in this forum as well as sending me a PM requesting the info so I can respond as quickly as possible.
Thanks,
William McFarland

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If 2coolers are interested in donating a gift card, there is a Walmart not far from their house which would be perfect for them since it has clothes and food available.

I am trying to come up with a tally of all the donations. If you want to donate directly to Matt and his family would you send me a PM with the amount you give. I know a lot of you want to do this privately and I respect that but I would love to be able to keep a running total of all donations.

·
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Total so far including the monthly contributions is $2050. If anyone is planning on contributing please let me know so I can add it to the total. If you are going to contribute toys or giftcards please let me know about those as well so I can know who to thank.

You guys and gals of 2coolfishing are awesome. I am going to let them know about what is going on tonight! :sheepy:

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
someone pm'd me regarding a hitchcock family and i don't know if this is the same one. i read your post and have more to offer than just xmas lights and ornaments. i have a ton of kids clothes that my 11 yr old girl, and 5 and 6 yr old boys have outgrown. i will be willing to drive them to your address. please pm it to me and i will be more than willing to deliver them to you. i, too, have worked hard to achieve what i have now: peace, family, and love. i know how much it means when someone helps you as i have been the recipient many times in years past. now it is my turn. like i said, pm me the address and i will get them delivered this week. thanks and God bless you, matt, and your families!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Big Willy

Things are a little tight around here this year as I'm sure they are for so many others. If it'll help I would like to send a gift for one of the children, please let me know where it needs to be delivered. It'll be coming from Amazon. PM me the info.

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 20 of 73 Posts