2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was the first deer I ever shot, two years ago and we never found it. I still think about it everyday. I told my dad it was at least 5 years old and he said it was younger. This deer was in Crockett, probably one of the biggest deer we have ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is another pic of it

I am getting sick thinking about this thing, my dad leased some property in Webb County in south texas just to get my mind off of this deer and we have only seen one doe so far. I am starting to think I would have better luck in Crockett than south texas.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
145 + and 5 1/2+. Deer are tough you never know he might show up. Webb county is tough hunting just hang in there from dec. 15 till close. I remember when I was your age in 1980's hunted November and December in Dilley Tx on 10,000 acres my Dad and never saw a horn, but was some of the greatest hunting memories of my life. Be thankful that wildlife management has become so popular that you have a chance to see 13 point like that. GOOD LUCK!

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
The average lifespan of a Texas whitetail is between three and four years.

A few make it to 5+, but the one you shot at would very likely have died a natural death by now regardless.

·
(Bill P.) Member
141 Posts
Dam fine looking deer right there. I bet my nigihtmare is alot like yours but I did not get a shot off at mine. Good Luck out in Webb, I'm still in the Piney's.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
The average lifespan of a Texas whitetail is between three and four years.

A few make it to 5+, but the one you shot at would very likely have died a natural death by now regardless.
Ummm... It's actually only 2-3 on Bucks and 3-4 on Does because of hunting, but without hunting, deer can live past 10 years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would say about 4.5. Here at A&M we have a few does that are 16 years old...granted they have to be hand fed because they don't have any more teeth but that is still pretty impressive.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Ummm... It's actually only 2-3 on Bucks and 3-4 on Does because of hunting, but without hunting, deer can live past 10 years.
Agreed. I have a buck at my ranch that I haev been watching for 6 years and he looks better than ever, he is at least 9.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts