2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were pretty much a semi rookie who relied mostly on live bait but have decided to go to the beach with no bait and no cast net. Which 4 artificial baits would you choose to get you some trout or Spanish Mac's.

I'm thinking about treating myself to a birthday trip in the next few days, has the beach been in pretty good shape?

Thanks for any pointers!

Bill Young

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
I went this past Sunday

I used Saltwater Assasins and did OK. The sandtrout were thick but so was the seaweed. A few Spanish Macs were caught, none by me, I don't remember and a few Specs.
I threw a Gold w/Black Spots Saltwater Rattle Trap but the seaweeds were just too thick to keep working it.
I always have some SA's, Gold and or Silver Spoons, D.O.A.'s and Hard Topwater baits (TopDog or SheDog ect) I favor the soft plastic's but they all will work.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
silver spoon
BA in pumpkinseed/chartreuse
mirrolure in TX Chicken
Mirrolure in R/G/Y with or without spots.

also try a clear orange mirrolure. I haven't been able to find any, but my neighbor in Crystal has been tearing up fish with it.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Good suggestions. Do yourself a huge favor and use a fluorocarbon leader about 7" or 8" long. It will save you a lot of lures lost to macs and blues.

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Last weekend I was using DOA and MR51 Mirror Lure in the surf with a 20# Florocarbon leader. But the macs kept cutting me off. Changed to the lightest and smallest steel leader but the hit rate dropped way off. What kind of steel leader should I use? The lightest I could find was 40# black coated.

Mike T

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
use coffee colored piano wire as small as you can get it. learn to make a haywire twist or buy the litlle gizmo (for $13) that makes it easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts