2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the regulations for Waller county and for deer is says this -

White-tailed Deer - (East Zone 1-Buck County) Archery Season: October 2 - 31; General Season: November 6 - January 2 (antlerless by MLD permit only). Bag limit: 3 (1 buck and 2 antlerless, all seasons combined).

which I interpret to mean that Waller is a buck only county period, unless you have an MLD permit but then I look at the general notes on white-tailed deer and it says -

ARCHERY-ONLY SEASON: Deer taken during the archery-only season are not required to be tagged with an antlerless deer permit, except on MLD property.
which I interpret to mean that as long as I'm hunting during archery season on land that is not under MLD oversight I can kill all the antlerless deer I want and I don't have to tag any of them. Somehow I know this can't be right so can someone please explain to me what the regulations really mean?

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but it also says "antlerless by MLD permit only" which seems to contradict the Archery section that says you don't need to tag an antlerless unless you're on MLD property which would insinuate, at least to me, that if you're not on MLD property, the buck only restrictions don't apply during Archery season. Does that sound right?

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
Well then don't tag your anterless deer during archery season. But heed your bag limits and you still need to tag your bucks regardless. When in doubt, call the game warden in the area your hunting. Its also a good way to develop a relationship with him......thats always a good thing. He only has ONE understanding of the game laws and a ticket book. If he knows WHO you are and WHERE you hunt, he has a chance at catching tresspassers and poachers.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,484 Posts
you just dont need the MLD tag, you would still need to use the tag off your license. Its the same way here in Matagorda county.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Exactly Shaky. All it is saying is that you can kill two does during the bow season and use the tags off of your license but after bow season you would have to have an MLD permit to harvest a doe and at that point you would not have to use the tag off of your license for that.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
The key point here is this:

General Season: November 6 - January 2 (antlerless by MLD permit only)

What this is saying is, once the general season opens, you cannot kill a doe unless you have an MLD permit.

The statement under Archery Season means you do not need an MLD permit (but you must use a license tag) for does. However, if you hunt a MLD ranch, you must use a permit regardless of the season. In fact, this is pertinent because, MLD season opens for rifle on the same day as the archery season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts