2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to take my son on one of those crappie trips up Kickapoo Creek. Can anyone give me some advice on how to rig up? Should we use jigs or minnows? What structures should we focus on? Any help is appreciated. We normally fish saltwater and I would be happy to share the locations and techniques we have been using to catch some good trout.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,906 Posts
Here's my advice...and it has produced 8 straight limits of crappie for me on Kickapoo, the last being earlier this week.

The easiest and most reliable methd of catching them is with minnows....and my preferred method with minnows is the slip cork rig. First, tie on your string stopper at about 7-8 feet, then add a bead if necessary, then the slip cork, then a split shot and then the hook about 8 inches below the split shot. Use a thin wire hook and most importantly, tie it on with a loop knot or rapalla knot. This will enable the weak fathead minnow maximun flexibility to move around and entice the crappie....this knot is important and will help you catch fish when others do not.

That rig is shown in the first picture below. The second picture shows a jig rig I use, an old fly rod with broken tip and a cheap light spinning reel. The third picture shows the loop knot/wire hook a little better and also some very effective jigs. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Meadowlark, thank you so much. I am hoping to go this Monday, do you think it will be good still? Is there a marina nearby to get the minnows? Thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey ML, it looks like you use the true turns also...what size?. I use # 6s and a tandim rig with two looped hooks about a foot apart like this.It is very effective.I have never used a loop knot. will have to try that one.looks good. how deep is the creek and how deep have they been catching them? just curious...thanks

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Conk, here is a little help to get bait and how find the right place. I posted it on another thread a few days ago. Mako$Money said he followed the directions and did very well.
I would suggest waiting a few days after it "warms up" a little. Maybe mid to end of next week.
Below pasted from another thread by sunbeam
"Coming west from Livingston on 190 toward Onalaska. Cross Sandy creek and stop at Exxon store on the left. Buy Minnows. About 3 dozen per fisherman. Continue west to top of the hill. Turn right on Fm 3251. Go to first paved road to the left at Triple Creek Marina/Broken Arrow Marina signs. Turn left. Follow the road to Triple Creek gate and turn in to the left. Go to the buildings/houses on the right.
Ask to use the ramp or just follow the road (bumpy) to the right down to the ramp on the creek. Pay the $3 in the box. Launch the boat. Turn right up the creek about 10 feet and start fishing. 6 to 8 feet deep under a slip cork. During the day some fish move out to the center of the channel at 8 to 10 feet.
There are about 10 miles of creek banks including the Rocky Creek fork. Crappie along each foot of them.
If you don't catch any crappie DO NOT TELL ANYONE. You will be the laughing stock of Polk county."

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't catch any crappie DO NOT TELL ANYONE. You will be the laughing stock of Polk county."
I won't tell anyone but you guys who hang out here.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,906 Posts
Wow Meadowlark, thank you so much. I am hoping to go this Monday, do you think it will be good still? Is there a marina nearby to get the minnows? Thanks again.
Yes, I think Monday will be good....barring rainfall in the drainage system. The crappie don't seem to be bothered by the low temps....but they will shut down if the visibility goes turbid. We didn't get much rainfall in this latest event so visibility should be excellent now and certainly Monday, again assuming no major precip.

Broken Arrow is the marina I use and they have minnows, excellent cleaning facilities and ramp. Go get 'em.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,906 Posts
... how deep is the creek and how deep have they been catching them? just curious...thanks
It varies...but in general the crappie have been in about 12 feet of water and feeding at about 7-8 feet. You can find them in less water and somewhat deeper water but generally speaking the bite has been around the 7-8 foot level for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts