2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a previously owned 12 gallon fuel tank. The previous owner had left some fuel in, for who knows how long. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for cleaning the tank out, as best as possible. :texasflag

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
go to autozone and buy a pump for $12 pump it out and that may be the end of it . put few gallon of super and buy some starting fluide to help it start and see if you can start it . carbartor and fuel filter are next if you cant get it going

·
Registered
805 Posts
Starting fluid XXXX

Everything up to the starting fluid sounds like good advice. I was told starting fluid is not good for outboards. Something about the starting fliud/spray being too combustible, and can essentially blow up an engine. OK for large I/O type car style engines but not for outboards.
You can also buy some enzyme gas treatment. This is supposed to take care of any strange things growin in the gas hole.

12 gallon tank though is tiny. Super gas add in some fuel treatment and you should be good to go.

boashna said:
go to autozone and buy a pump for $12 pump it out and that may be the end of it . put few gallon of super and buy some starting fluide to help it start and see if you can start it . carbartor and fuel filter are next if you cant get it going

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
don't use starting fluid on a newer outboard. They don't like that too much. What is the tank made out of? Yoo can buy b-12 carb cleaner in a can. You might want to swirl some of that around in there and then drain that out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts