2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help choosing a dog. I guess first ill give you a little background on what im looking for.
1. It needs to be a good inside dog.
2. It cannot shed ALOT. (GF's dog sheds like CRAZY, nonstop even after a brush and bath, so it stays at her parents.)
3. Needs to be fairly smart. (GF's dog is dumb as a box of rocks.)
4. A good outdoors dog, ex. fishing, hunting, ranch.
5. Needs to be good with kids.
6. Looking for a medium size dog.

The choices i have kind of narrowed it down to are:
1. Blue Heeler
2. Brittney Spaniel
3. Springer Spaniel (i know, not really medium size.)

I use to have a Brittney and was a great dog but he was an outside dog, not sure how well he would do inside.
A guy i use to know had a Blue Heeler and was the smartest dog ever. He was great.
My uncle has a Springer that is pretty smart too and he keeps him in his condo.

If i get one should i get a pup, or one that is already a year or two old?
Thanks for any input you can give me about these dogs.
Jeff Hartung

·
Specks&Reds
1,269 Posts
our mut matches all that stuff except the water part.. we had a springer and he seemed to have mood swings when he got older. but he was a good dog.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I have a healer and she is great but does tend to nip a bit...herding instinct. She is very protective of my 3 yr old daughter and very tolerant of the obvious abuse. Very smart, and intuitive dogs!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Brittanies are great dogs. I had one as a teenager and she was a fantastic pheasant and quail dog, and would retrieve in water. I'd look at a female lab as well. Find one that is from a bloodline of relatively small animals and SHORT COAT. I have a long haired lab and a shorthaired and the difference is huge on the shedding issue.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Can't beat a heeler but they do require attention. I have a 5 yr old who is calm & just a good old dog but I also have a 6 month old who has alot of energy. She was rounding up dragon flies in the back yard yesterday only because there was nothing else to chase. Both stay out all day but sleep inside. Not much hair shedding. Any kid can come to the front door but not too many adult strangers.

·
Here fishy, fishy.......
170 Posts
I have a Viszla and a German Shorthaired Pointer. They are both great dogs, but this is my second pointer and I will not have any other dogs. They are loyal, protective, great with kids/people, great hunters, smart, CLEAN, and I could go on for hours. Please check out the north texas german shorthair rescue. They have a TON of great dogs for adoption that are already trained in some cases. Please give this breed a chance, you will not be sorry.

http://members.petfinder.org/~TX176/available_dogs.html

·
Here fishy, fishy.......
170 Posts
Mikew92 said:
I have a Viszla and a German Shorthaired Pointer. They are both great dogs, but this is my second pointer and I will not have any other dogs. They are loyal, protective, great with kids/people, great hunters, smart, CLEAN, and I could go on for hours. Please check out the north texas german shorthair rescue. They have a TON of great dogs for adoption that are already trained in some cases. Please give this breed a chance, you will not be sorry.

http://members.petfinder.org/~TX176/available_dogs.html
Sorry, try this:

http://members.petfinder.org/~TX176/

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I agree with Mikew92 - my buddy has a GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) and that is one amazing dog. He's well manered, very smart, very fun, sheds very little (if any) and is a great family dog. I've had Pit Bulls for years, but I'm seriously considering my next dog might be a GSP. Either that or a Boxer...my wife has a soft spot for Boxers, but I don't think that would fit your bill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have had and still have healers. Newest is a mini weenie, and it is one of the coolest dogs we have ever had. Either of these two would be my pick, as long as you get them when they are puppies!!!

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Blue Heeler fits the bill.....This is one of many Heeler rescue sites...take your time and check em out...often.

http://www.blueheeler.com/rescue.htm

Reggie was a rescue Heeler...Hunting, Fishing, indoors, outdoors, kids....you name it....they don't come much smarter....None are problem free..but they are trainable....and the least boring friend you will ever have.

Good Luck and hope you find that special one...

Do a search on TTMB for Heeler...

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Awe Gee Wizz...Thanks Guys! Some big dog green coming your way!

I really hope folks give Blue Heeler Rescue a try and give a good home to some of my brothers and sisters.

I just had my Passport pictures taken, can't decide on which one to use yet?

Thanks, with my tail waggin...

Blue

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I will second the nod for a Vizsla. Granted I have not owned a German Shorthair but the Vizsla fits your criteria too yet slightly smaller. Mine weighs 40-45 lbs. Natural hunters (probably not too well on ducks their short hair would be cold), great personality, loves people (almost too much), very light shedding and very smart.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts