2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal. In February I bought my wife a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. Well she now has just under 5k on the vehicle and it has been in the shop 4 times already, most recently yesterday. Everytime the check engine light has come on. I have not been taking it to the place of purchase because of the distance and inconvenience plus there is a Toyota dealer here in Baytown. Well my wife just called and none of the lights are working on the dash now. When she turns the key on nothing on the dash lights up. All the problems to this point have been computer problems, all with the emissions monitoring but this is different. I dont know if it was like this when I picked it up yesterday because it was running when they brought it out to me. Now, it could be just a fuse which Ill check when I get home but if not what in the heck can I do with this thing?
I partially feel like they are giving me crappy service because I didnt buy from them but how am I to know? The very first time I took it in(297miles on it) the first thing they asked was why I didnt buy from them. I know this isnt a lemon law case but what can I do? My wife otherwise loves the vehicle and we'd like to keep it. Our time is valuable and to keep taking entire days without a vehicle sitting around the house is getting old. I feel like this time I need to take it back to where I bought it and see what they do. Any help would be appreciated.

Zac

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
If it has to go in again raise hell untill they give you a loaner car. I know how you feel man i had my truck less then 2 months before it went in the shop the first time and it made it back to the shop 3 more times before the first year was out. Just stick to your guns and demand a loaner.

Josh

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Try a differnet dealer. I know it can be a pain but if you aren't satisfied with the one you are using currently. I also own a Toyota and have had no problems with Joe Myers on Hwy. 290 although I haven't had any major problems. (I shouldn't have said that!). That may be a bit of a drive for you but I would find a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Contact Toyota HQ Service

if you have problems now chances are you will have problems later and worse will not be covered. By contacting the main office at least you will get some "real/good" service as they should followup after it is repaired. Computers in cars/trucks are very expensive and do not fix themselves. If there are shorts in the wiring harness you could have a fire while driving, something your wife does not need. No matter how much you or she likes the truck now, safety should be a bigger thought. If you do decide to keep it and hope everything gets fixed, just be sure to keep all the paper work as you will need it later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"...the first thing they asked was why I didnt buy from them."

This is a very inappropriate comment for them to make. I'm sure Gulf States Toyota would be less than thrilled to hear about it.

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
Don't know what difference it makes to the dealer where you bought the car! The work is covered under factory warranty and the factory pays them just as good as a customer without a warranty. Besides, dealerships do not keep their doors open by selling cars, they keep them open by repairing them.

·
Ken
541 Posts
Actually, since you didn't buy from them, you're lucky they even do look at it. They don't have to, you know. I'd worry that their hearts might not be set on helping you out, they might be trying to teach you a lesson.
As far as demanding a loaner? I bet that'll give them a good belly laugh! It's a rare dealer that even loans cars to people who bought from them, nowadays.
If I were you, I'd make an appointment where you bought it, and if it's a long drive, you'll probably begin to see the sensibility of buying locally next time.
I don't mean for this to sound critical. I went through a situation like this back some years ago, and it was a painful learning experience.
Hey, at least it isn't an older Toyota. Like most imports, they quit making spare parts after awhile, that's why you see so few old ones on the road.
Good luck.

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
AceUpDJ said:
Actually, since you didn't buy from them, you're lucky they even do look at it. They don't have to, you know. I'd worry that their hearts might not be set on helping you out, they might be trying to teach you a lesson.
As far as demanding a loaner? I bet that'll give them a good belly laugh! It's a rare dealer that even loans cars to people who bought from them, nowadays.
If I were you, I'd make an appointment where you bought it, and if it's a long drive, you'll probably begin to see the sensibility of buying locally next time.
Hey, at least it isn't an older Toyota. Like most imports, they quit making spare parts after awhile, that's why you see so few old ones on the road.
Good luck.
Buying a car is usually a one time experience for you and the dealership, but service will last for years if the dealership treats you right.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
Zac, my drummer is a Toyota mechanic, I'll ask him tonight at rehearsal if he's had a bunch of Sequoias come in for the same problem. I'll post up in the morning.

Randy

·
Ken
541 Posts
If what I said sounded mean, it wasn't my intention to sound that way. And you'll probably enjoy your Sequoia once they get it right. My daughter and son-in-law love theirs, it's been good to them.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
I've had service reps of dealers that I didnt buy from walk around to the back of the truck looking for a dealer ad to see where I bought it. To me, that should not matter. Most of the service shops operate their own business unit and should try to get as many customers as possible. To be biased towards a customer because of where they bought the vehicle shows just how much of a loser they are and I'd go elsewhere. I'd also make some phone calls to report it and vent my frustration by naming specific employee names involved. They screw you, you screw them back. LOL :)

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya

I guess my big thing is this. Toyota has had a good reputation as far as reliabilty and that was one of the things that leaned us toward the Sequoia but what in the Heck did we get for 40K? I feel like the issue with the vehicle is not that big of a deal, its just not getting fixed. I think next week I may make a run to Champion and let them look at it. Its just they are 45 miles away and Baytown Toyota is 10 miles. I didnt buy from them because they never had any in stock and I dont like dealer swaps, Ive seen too many kids flying buy me in cars going from one place to the other and have just never felt real good about buying a car from a dealer who in turn has to get it from somewhere else. I thought I was getting a higher end SUV, and I guess I did, but this piddly wink electronic stuff drives me nuts. The kicker is that when the check engine light comes on it shuts off all the other gizmos I paid high dollar for. I guess Im just frustrated since this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought and it has had the most problems in the first year. My last two Fords never spent a day in the shop except for routine maint. Now this one is 4 months old and is averaging once a month. Then the guy tells my wife, "well, you have a 3yr,36000 mile warranty" What an idiot! Oh well, I guess that why they cant sell cars either.

Zac

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
When the check engine light came on in my Tundra a couple of weeks after I bought it I was mad and confused. I called the dealership and they said tighten the gas cap. Light goes off. Yep, I felt like an idiot.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep went through that

That was the first thing they said on the phone to me. But it was good. Does your gas filler neck have a flapper where the gas pump goes into the filler neck? Mine doesnt and that seems odd as every vehicle Ive owned or put gas in has one. Just curious.

Z

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Thanks Scott, I needed that. Ill check into that stuff and hopefully we can get back on track.

Zac

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whew wee

Well at least today's problems were an easy fix. Got home to check out the latest problem and lets just say, "we'll chalk this one up as operator error" and leave it at that. Sometimes things just look clearer to an outside point of view(me)!:eek: That one will be logged away for future reference.

Zac

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Zac, did you just have to turn the knob that brightens the panel lights ???? ROTFLMAO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts