2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am needing some help please !! I have a 225 oceanrunner and every time I use it, I spend the first 15 min having to pump the ball to get it up and on plane. Once it finally gets up to high RPMs and holds there for a min or so, it will run great for the rest of the day - flawless. To give you a better idea of the problems, here is how it goes. I put it in the water, it starts right away and idles well for 5 min or so then as it is time to leave I will attempt to increase the speed and it shutters and runs very rough, sometimes may die. Pump the ball again, restart fine, then take off to the same shuttering and rough running, if I keep pumping the ball, with each pump almost it will increase the RPM's by 500. With steady pumping it will surge its way up to 5-5500 RPMs and eventually stop surging and run perfectly fine for the remainder of the day. The engine is a 97 model with very low hours and well maintained. I have already replaced all fuel filters, plugs, ball (inline pump ball) and impeller. If it was a carburator issue wouldn't it run rough all the time and not just the first 10 min of the day ?? The other day I ran @ 100 gallons through it and after the same episode in the morning, it ran perfectly the whole day. Thanks for any suggestions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trey

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
theres high speed and low speed jets. so it could be running lean at low rpm's. do your carbs smell varnished ? Id start by replacing the primer bulb, sound the the check valve in there took a ****.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My '04 Yamaha 115hp is doing the same thing or something very similar to your description. It's at the shop right now getting looked at, I'll let you know whats wrong with it when I talk to the shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thanks dad, I'll ask for a new one, my birthday is coming up soon...

I will give it a smell test tonight and will change the ball also. If the low speed/high speed jets were clogged or something wouldn't it be giving me problems constantly through out the day and not just the first thing in the morning ???

·
Registered
310 Posts
Check fuel tank?

Check the tank on the boat for trash...water.....etc. Might want to put some additive to remove water just in case.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
check ball

Theres a check ball in the down spout of the tank sometimes it gets weak and bleeds off back into the tank.Once the line gets full it stays full.The fitting looks like a regular push barb fitting unscrew it and look inside,or try to blow backwards on it.I f it leaks air it will leak gas.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This was happening to a friend on a new new 200 Evenrude it was the ball in the bulb.
As long as we pumped the bulb we ran fine. Replaced the bulb w/ a factory one and all is fine now.

·
it is what it is
713 Posts
instead of pumping the ball when it happens to get the rpms back up, push the key in to choke it, if the rpms come back up then its not your ball, but fuel flow problem, could be sucking air. if it doesnt come up change your ball, dont get a attwood ball, if it still doesnt come back up, then its probably electrical

·
Registered
244 Posts
same problem

I'v had the same problem in the past. I changed the filter on the fuel tank & added a water seperator. I also changed th filter in the engine. Works good now, but I did the pump the bulb thing for awhile before I fixed it.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
We put in an electric fuel pump, before the fuel filter, that comes on with the key. No more pumping and no more surging at start. Tom

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Before you first start the motor do you pump the bulb until it's hard? I had a similar problem either when first starting the day or after having anchored up for an hour or so. My cure was to angle the output side of the primer bulb 'up' when pumping in order for the bulb to pump up solid. With the output slanting down the bulb never gets hard so you don't have the carbs and fuel lines completely full.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Trey,
Take you motor to;

Acie's Outboard

1441 Fm 464

Phone 281-339-3871

Call him, he's very good about taking the time to discuss your problem over the phone.

My buddy just went through this same problem.

This problem is cause by the alcohol in the gas which evaporated and clogs the screens in the filters. A motor only has to sit up for a little as 2 weeks to have this problem. Continuing to run your engine with this problem can cause serious damage because it isn't receiving the necessary lubrication from the lean fuel.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I was thinking along lines of last post , may have some trash or waterin your fuel. getting up againist the pickup tube in the tank, probably not this since it runs ok after you get it going good, i know you ssaid you replaced bulb, buti would also chech this,like 1 of the earlier post mentioned it may not bepriming good.

GOOD LUCK

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
There is an antisiphon valve on the outlet of the fuel tank. They are required by law, and they go bad over time. It sounds as if that valve is sticking enough to not open under the suction of the fuel pump alone unless you squeeze the bulb to add additional suction. Once you get it open, it will tend to stay open. Replace that valve on the tank, they're cheap.

The other possibility is you have a crack in the rubber fuel line somewhere that is sucking in air. Between uses, the rubber dries out, and the crack opens up. Once you get fuel flowing over it for a couple of minutes, the rubber swells up and closes the crack enough that the motor will now run on its' own. The crack could be anywhere in the fuel line, including under the engine cowling.

·
fish control my brain
7,738 Posts
Take it to a professional that specializes in Evinrudes/ Johnsons

We have used Stone & sons marine, and so has numerous others for 30 + years....

give Outboard Jack a call

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
RP -- Acie is the one who gave me the tip on the bulb. I agree, he is the best and will take time to discuss.

Oh -- he's on 646 rather than 464. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys thanks alot for all of your suggestions, I definalty have some places to start, just need to get the time. I never thought of the check valve at the tank, along with some other suggestions. Thanks alot guys I will go from here and see what happens. Next thing will be going to Acies on 646.. Thanks again guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts