2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever heard of a heart trap or a pen trap to catch pigs? I saw one two years ago on a ranch in Beeville. It was made out of hog panel and T-posts. They put a feeder in the middle and let the pigs come and go as they pleased throughout the week and then on the weekends they would tie the exit shut. The weekend I was down there they cought 32 pigs in one night. If anybody has heard of one or has seen one I would really like to know how the enterance and exit work. Thanks

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
pen traps

I built a figure 6 pen trap. The "gate" on these traps are closed by the tension or spring in the wire panel (you place the T-post such that they put tension on a curved portion of the wire panel; the hogs can push their way in but cannot pull it open to free themselves). On the figure 6 or heart trap the gate is tied open until you want to trap them. As such the hogs go in and feed at the feeder daily. When you untie the gate they push their way in and are trapped. I've had a few small hogs escape under or through the wire. I recently had a very large hog lift the panel serving as the gate. The hogs follow the curvature of the panel (like a chute) and enter through the gate at the top of the figure 6 or heart. On the heart you can also tie open the bottom to let them come and go freely to the feeder and tie it closed when you want to trap them. My record is 18 hogs in the trap at one time! There are some diagrams of the heart and figure 6 traps on the Internet.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Can one of these serve a dual purpose as a feed pen for deer? I've been tossing around the idea of building one of these, but I'd think that once it's tied shut (to only allow deer to feed) the hogs would tear it apart trying to get in. Anyone know?

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
dual purpose pen trap

If you build it well (use more T-posts and drive them down well) and use hog panels and have a larger diameter pen it should serve as a feeder pen for deer only and once the gate is released as a trap for hogs only. If you use the taller utility panels and make it a smaller diameter deer will have a very hard time jumping out of it with the gate closed. Just my dos centavos!

·
Registered
519 Posts
you can convert your feed pen into one. You'll probably need an extra panel and rearange your t post's on the end where you'll make the entry gate and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My brother use to make round traps out of cattle panels that could be rolled into place (one man operation). The door was hinged about 1/3 from the top, and it only opened to the inside. This way, it was a gravity trip (it did not require a trip machanism), and it would continue to catch pigs even after some had been trapped. Of course the door was tied open and fed w/corn during the week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts