2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule (When we're up to it)
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I are on a COBRA health insurance and they are sticking it to me pretty good. I work through contract agencies and the group plans are very high prices or not available.
I have a quote for my wife and baby through Mega Life and Health Insurance that is MUCH more reasonable than I am paying now. Anyone heard of them? I contacted them through an ad on Sam's Club website and have been doing a search on the internet about them. Mega Life and Health sounds like a hokey name but no more than Aetna, Humana, Blue Cross Texas.
I have to wait until January to switch myself from the COBRA plan because December is the 5 year all clear from having colon cancer. Then I should be insurable through most companies again.
Any other health insurance companies I might check with? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Not meaning to burst your bubble but don't count on the insurance companies believing in the "5 " year rule on cancer. Most are on the 7-10 year rule. Yet the State of Texas Health Insurance Risk Pool will only grant you eligilibity if your cancer has been in the last 4 years. Something is wrong with that picture! You should apply now so if you are rejected by any of the normal providers, that will give you guaranteed eligilibility in the Risk Pool which is run by Blue Cross. Not the best insurance and more expensive than most commercial providers but a darn sight better than no insurance! Good luck.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Be carefull with Mega life

I deal with insurance every day and I can tell you that Mega Life generally has about the crappiest coverage that I have seen. The life time max is way to low, most of the time around $50,000 or less. I guess it's an ok policy if no one has to be hospitalized but you will be SOL if someone does. look at Unicare or something similar. Go to webmd.com and search for health insurance there, you will still have to pay $300-$400 a month for something decent for a family but at least you will have peace of mind.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
I've got my daughter and I covered with these guys. Most reasonable prices I found and the coverage is decent. Get the Plus plan if you want it to cover preventative visits (annual checkup, etc.). We just have the regular PPO that covers illness and for the 2 of us we're paying $198/mo.

http://www.celtic-net.com/consumer/default.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts