2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot of tarpon hanging around the Sea Rim/Sabine Pass area. Close to the beach in the early morning. Don't know if any one fishes that area. Shrimpers started back to work today, might make a difference. But the tarpon have been around that area all last week. Also a few spotted off the beach at High Island, but water got muddy around High Island today, might have moved them further offshore.

Report from this weekend
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=74951

Two quick question. Since I am tring to hook the tarpon from a kayak. Large circles do not seem to be sticking good. I think the fact that my kayak moves so much at hook set that I loose the power to set the large diameter hook. Been using 14/0-16/0 mustad. What would be a good hook that could hold up to a tarpon, but smaller diameter making hook set better from a small boat.

Do tarpon fishermen have a channel they use more often then others. Don't worry, I am not going to potlick you.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I like to mention up-front that I am not one of the more experienced guys on here. On the other hand I'm willing to help with what I have found to work. I am not a fan of large hooks. I currently use a 10/0 Eagle Claw E2004EL. Chris carries them at Islanders Tackle in packs of 50 for about $15. They are a thinner wire and black. I hook my shad from the under side of the chin and out through the top of the nose. Seems to work. I'm only 1 for 5 so far this year, but, can't blame any of the lost fish on the hooks.

Not sure on the radio channel. I generally monitor 16 and 68 with just a couple other buddies.

I am planning to be at Islanders helping out Saturday morning. Stop by and talk fishing with me!

-Mike.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
By the way.... you kayak guys are freaking nuts! I can't imagine how much it would hurt if one of those blacktips tail whipped you. We have had them take chunks out of the gelcoat with those tail whips!

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cabolew said:
By the way.... you kayak guys are freaking nuts! I can't imagine how much it would hurt if one of those blacktips tail whipped you. We have had them take chunks out of the gelcoat with those tail whips!
Got to watch the tails, they can slap the crapp out of you if not careful.

Thanks for the help, I will be back at it again this weekend around Sea Rim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts