2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving Thursday morning for a weeklong trip to the ranch. We haven't been there since mid July. I need to check the stands and fill the feeders before deer season starts and install my security camera that sends live pictures via my cell phone. I also need to check my trailer and cabin but I am very relieved that we won't have thirteen thousand illegal immigrants walking across the ranch from Del Rio heading east! I do plan to shoot at least one pig!

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It does look like we'll have nice cooler weather but hopefully I won't be doing too much work! Hopefully the animals will show up on the game cams and a pig or two give me a shot! We'll see!

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to the ranch around 2. Two feeders not working. Two feeders are working. Set game cams. Tried new security/game cam and it works! Saw 3 deer at the campsite. Sat at my feeder and saw 13? whitetail! Saw 2 spike, a 4, 6, 8 and a 10 pointer. The 8 was the only one still in velvet. All were typical Hill Country bucks with horns and small bodies. Tomorrow I'll be filling feeders and charging batteries/fixing feeder timers. No Axis or pigs seen.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How’s the weather up there? It ain’t taking very long to get hot down here in the coast. Still nice in the morning though.
It gets a little warm in the afternoon. We try to do our scheduled stuff before the heat sets in and I just run to do the little fill in things in the heat of the day. We sat in my stand until sunset, about 8:00 pm. We saw about 8-10 doe, fawn/yearling and spike bucks. At about 7:15 pm the bucks came in, two 4 pointers, a 6, 8 and the 10 pointer. All are the typical Hill Country small bodied bucks but the 10 is a little bigger. Since yesterday the 8 pointer scraped all of the velvet off his horns! No pigs on game cam and only a few Axis doe and yearling. Saw a big doe at the feeder behind the trailer this morning. I also had a very large body Axis buck on a game cam last night but he only had one brow tine left for horns! His body was huge and it looked like he was on steroids! Pig trap is set, cameras are set, pig pipe is filled, ice is being made
Plant Tree Grass Fawn Natural landscape
and I even installed a new feeder light on the feeder below the cabin. We'll see!

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One feeder fixed and I ordered a replacement battery for the other feeder. Filled all 3 water troughs. Re-wired a trailer to use to bring my new deer stand to the ranch. Replaced tire on an ATV and got it running. Will sit this evening again to see what comes out. I've only seen a few Axis and no pigs. Whitetail are plentiful and doing well. Here's a picture of the fat broken horn Axis buck!
Plant Tree Natural landscape Black-and-white Wood

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm cutting the trip short. Going home tomorrow morning. I got sick early AM Sunday and just feeling a little better now. Finally got a few pigs and Axis on one game cam. I think they are still around but they have a lot of natural vegetation to eat. Also, acorns are dropping (not a big crop this year) and almost all whitetail bucks are out of velvet.
Black Black-and-white Style Grass Chair
Plant community Plant Tree Natural environment Natural landscape

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope you’re feeling better.

thanks for taking us along. Ever need a hand culling those mangy axis deer, I know a guy. 😁
Thanks. I'm taking 500 mg of an antibiotic three times a day for 10 days. I feel much better but I still have some pain. I did not see one Axis while I was there from Thursday to Tuesday. I did have a few on game cam at one feeder. My neighbor is putting up a high fence and he may have herded all of them in and shut the gate! LOL, I think!

·
Deadeye McGee
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure. It's a Reolink Go PT with a T-Mobile SIM card. I have it mounted on the cover for my single wide trailer and I can see/monitor the trailer door and the feeder behind the cabin (30'+-). Since it has no zoom but does have high and low resolution it has limited clarity when trying to see distant objects (say over 30'). I think it will be a good security cam or game cam but not good to observe more distant objects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts