2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have downloaded everything off the internet but was just curious if there is a little special hole that someone might want to PM me - I normally would never ask for this especially in our own backyard , but hey I've got to represent the 2-cool community while I'm over in virgin (for me) waters..thanks

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Ono Loco said:
I have downloaded everything off the internet but was just curious if there is a little special hole that someone might want to PM me - I normally would never ask for this especially in our own backyard , but hey I've got to represent the 2-cool community while I'm over in virgin (for me) waters..thanks
Ask Mike............
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=73699

Bob

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Destin is alot different from Texas. They have zero oilfield structure offshore of Destin. So you are limited to natural rock/coral bottom and wrecks/reefs. I would stop at Half Hitch Tackle in Destin and get a #90F waterproof chart. It gives you a nice idea of the bottom. The chart is a fishing chart and has almost 200 waypoints of wrecks and bottom.

Sea Isle posted a reef link and they are listed by age. I looked for some of the older reefs and wrecks and could not find them. The newer ones like 2003/2004 are more reliable.

The locals that are serious over there build their own wrecks but they are very tight lipped with the numbers. I wish I had some private stuff, but my knowledge of Destin bottom is limited. I fished in an area called "The Hour Glass". It is on that 90F chart and there is alot of bottom and humps out there with fish on it. It is about 200 foot minimum and it is a little over 20nm out to the SSW. It takes time, but I just kicked back and ran a pattern in there at about 8 knots and watched the sounder.

If I was going back next week, the Hour Glass would be my target and I would take Squid, Icefish, and get about 40 live baits from the bait boat outside the Jettys. You have to be early to get the bait boat before they run out. Usually ran out by 6am.

I hope this helps.

Mike Trautwein

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Reefs

These 2 reefs got my attention. It is legal to deploy them in Florida and Alabama.

If you want to invest in future trips, they will drop that big one at your location for about $1000.00. The smaller one is designed to be deployed from a small boat.

I wish we had those in Texas, but I guess we really don't need them with all of the structure that we have here.

Attachments

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike that helps. I've downloaded all the half hitch spots and will get the chart when I get there. Hopefully we'll have a good run like you guys had a few weeks back.
Peace..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts