2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headin out to Rayburn for the 1st time and if anyone can steer me in the right direction for bass and crappie, it would be appreciated. Also plan on bringing lights for crappie at night... any depth help, area etc Thanks alot!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
We are staying at mills creek park on the south end. Water is very off colored and the fishing is slow. Finding a few up shallow but not the big females. High pressure and stiff north wind has made it tough.

Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death!!

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Headin out to Rayburn for the 1st time and if anyone can steer me in the right direction for bass and crappie, it would be appreciated. Also plan on bringing lights for crappie at night... any depth help, area etc Thanks alot!
Where are you staying? Boat or bank fishing?

If your around powell park, head north and any of the coves to the left should produce bass off the shorelines. The third one from the park on the north shoreline was always a spot to hammer the 3-4 pounders. They really liked watermelon w/red flake worms or centipedes, or chartreuse buzz or spinner baits. The island off to the northeast used to produce also but I always worked chartreuse or crawfish crankbaits in that area. For crappie back up off the bank into about 10-15' of water and look for the brush piles. When i used to fish up there, they were easy to spot because whoever put them out marked them with a floating coke bottle. Looked like trash but once you figured out the dang bottle was in the same place on your way back out you had to investigate, once you were near it, the depth finder told the story. Don't over look the lowly catfish either. Theres a healthy population of blue and channels. In the attached image the red arrow is powell, the yellow lines are the shorelines i talked about, and the yellow dots are the area that the brush piles were in. Haven't fished there in probably 7-8 years or more, but im guessing nothing has changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bringin the boat Stayn at mills creek, but were not fishin there I dont believe Thanks for the help fellas I appreciate it alot Awesome... Hopefully I can find a place at night to crappie fish also 10-15' at night also?

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Bringin the boat Stayn at mills creek, but were not fishin there I dont believe Thanks for the help fellas I appreciate it alot Awesome... Hopefully I can find a place at night to crappie fish also 10-15' at night also?
As long a you can find the structure (brush or otherwise) 10-15 should be about right at night. We always set our baits about 7-8' down so the crappie were looking up at them into the light. Had a gar swim above my 4' green light set about 3' down and it looked about a big as a nuclear sub. I'm guessing it was every bit of 8' long and 2' across. We thought the light had went out until we looked over the side. Haha

I don't know how far it is from moods creek, but another good place is the big bridge pilings. Fish the Lilly pads on the ne side in the late after noon, then when the sun goes down tie up to the bridge and try for crappie. Rayburn has ALOT, and i do mean ALOT of trees that barely come to the surface. There used to be a big one that poked up west of the bridge in 40' of water that was 2' across and was prop scared pretty bad. Be carefull running out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts