2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was on my second HDS5--first one graph quit on it. I downloaded and installed the newest update--fourth I have had to do so far I think--Friday. Sunday while on the water the screen started to flicker then it died all together. I would definately NOT recommend this unit to anyone. I had an Eagle 500 that cost several hundred less and performed just as well.

·
From Hope and Change 2 Dope and Strange
548 Posts
I had a Lowrance LCX-27c, never a bit of problems. I bought a HDS-8 for my last boat which I sold with my Ranger, it was purchased around April. I never had any problems with it but the guy that bought my Ghost said it fried he's gonna have It put in the shop. That a $2000. investment. I'm starting to see alot of these HDS's having serious problems. Lowrance needs to get a handel on it before they lose the fear of there product with the avg. fisherman. I've always been a lowrance person but might buy Garmin next. Just wish they would make a decent large screen fishfinder.

·
From Hope and Change 2 Dope and Strange
548 Posts
I looked at a Side Imaging Sonar/External GPS Combo Humminbird at Bass Pro shops over the weekend. Never much a fan of Humminbird but might give them a try. They atleast have a big screen unit. I use the GPS 95% of the time for cutting across the bay to find certain back lakes and sorts. I fish most of the time in less then 2 foot of water. So I reaaly just need one for speed, depth, and water temp. Side imaging is just a plus. I like the Garmin GPS but not a fan of there fish finders.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
Majek Texas Slam
5,354 Posts
I have had mine for abotu 5 months now and no problems yet.(knowck on wood)
Now when im in shallow water it does tend to lose the depth. I had a bud with me that would reach down and rub the transducer to clean it and it would come back. I have seen many post on the lawrence and i am thinking of getting anothe runit and selling this one. Im really not fond of the small screen either on the HDS5. I am going to start looking for something that is more user friendly and with a bigger screen. Hope you get your issues worked out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok this is too funny--When I first got the HDS5 I was having problems with the photo overlay--the water would just show up black when the photo overlay was enabled. Anyway I spoke several times with Lowrance HQ and a local Lowrance rep (Medic). They both told me the same thing--Well sounds like operator error to me--that is the way it is supposed to work---our stuff is good. Basically telling me I didn't know what I was doing. Well with the new update--the problem that I was experiencing was fixed--huh guess it wasn't operator error after all. Way to treat your customers Lowrance!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a hds8 less than one month old and it has problems it has water in it, the customer freaked, but we took it off the boat, and layed it on the counter and water came out.. The First hds5 I sold got water in it the first trip out, was wading and it rained, he brought it back the second day, said it would not work, layed it on the counter and water ran out of it. I hope they are getting them fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts