2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That’s a pretty broad spectrum of boats, both from price and functionality standpoint. Fit & finish will be better on the SS and Dargel (I love both of those boats), but they are massive boats if trailing them around and they come with a pretty good price tag. I know the Haynie is a functional boat and many like them, but they aren’t finished out like the Dargel and SS. To me a Haynie is a perfect guide boat. Big and open, but not family friendly. I don’t have any personal experience with the Haynie (just looked at them hard when I was buying this last spring) but I don’t feel like you get much for your money with them. I can’t comment at all about the Parker. For what it’s worth I own a SS and would buy one again because of the build quality and how well they hold their value.

Any of these boats would handle Galveston bay though. Just comes down to what your personal preferences are. Go look at them in person.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,235 Posts
I have run all of those listed. Haynie Magnum would be the best all around of those listed. It will be the fastest, draft the least at rest, the most efficient, and the best handling. Depending on HP would be mid 50s MPH with 250hp and 60s with 300-350hp.

Parker is a tank. Twice as heavy as the Haynie. They ride very very similar. That big ole flip up console becomes a pile of everything mess. 46mph with a 250. With a 300 or 350 you wont break 50.

The X3 is barge with a football field/dance floor front deck. Good all around. Wont ride as good as the other two for Galv. Takes a lot to get up but will run in 10" or so.
46mph with 300hp.

That Dargel will run the shallowest. But you said you dont need that. Purdy similar to the X3 for performance and ride.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I have run all of those listed. Haynie Magnum would be the best all around of those listed. It will be the fastest, draft the least at rest, the most efficient, and the best handling. Depending on HP would be mid 50s MPH with 250hp and 60s with 300-350hp.

Parker is a tank. Twice as heavy as the Haynie. They ride very very similar. That big ole flip up console becomes a pile of everything mess. 46mph with a 250. With a 300 or 350 you wont break 50.

The X3 is barge with a football field/dance floor front deck. Good all around. Wont ride as good as the other two for Galv. Takes a lot to get up but will run in 10" or so.
46mph with 300hp.

That Dargel will run the shallowest. But you said you dont need that. Purdy similar to the X3 for performance and ride.
Haynie drafts less at rest than the X3 or Dargel? Where in the world do you get this bull**** from?

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
620 Posts
Magnum is a no frills fishing machine that rides really good. Fit and finish is not impressive.

X3 is huge for fishing room. It’s slow, wet and doesn’t ride great. Does not float any shallower than my magnum. Have set the side by side. Fit and finish is great. They’re slow and heavy.

Parker is like the magnum with a better fit and finish but slower.

Dargel is faster than the X3, rides better and way less money.

My vote goes to the Haynie for functionality and ride. If buying new, hammer em on the fit, finish and rigging when you buy it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When did Parker stop making the Big Bay 23T?
A couple years ago. Great boats that do everything well. Float and run in 12” smooth and dry. Takes 18” to get up not fast but roomy and comfortable. Plenty of storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you go with the cat hull, I would strongly suggest the dargel over the x3. Faster and rides great. It also drafts less than a magnum. I think that is more important when you dont wade so you can get up on the flats when the fish are shallower. If you do go with the dargel make sure you get trim tabs...changes everything on jumping on plane in shallow water (more than any other boat I have seen)

Magnum would be my second choice in that group. Great fishing Machine

Happy Shopping

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
620 Posts
I have and a Dargel floats shallower than a magnum. Not sure about the x3.
Not even close. That Magnum drafts more with the motor trimmed up than the other two with motors down.
I'd say they're pretty close depending on setup. My magnum is a butt heavy boat but still floats right at 11" with two people on the bow and motor up. Dargel isn't gonna do much better and X3 isn't going to do any better at all. X3 is not a shallow draft boat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Magnum 23’ with a 225 I can get up in 9” of water with 3 guys on board and have run in 5” up on plane. Great all around boat.
I also have had no problem running 60 miles offshore either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts