2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This blue land crab was collected in Sargent, TX this weekend. It was running about under the soft yellow street light in front of Captn'C's front yard. I think it was making a get-away from Harbormaster's party. The carapace (shell) is about 3" wide at it's widest point. This one is a female. It is native to Florida, the Southern Gulf, and the Carribean to Brazil. Please post back with a date and location if you have seen one in Texas.

Attachments

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
When i was growing up in Port Isabel, TX, we had them things all over the place during certain times of the year. They only come out at night and you never see them near the water. They make big holes in the yard that they live in. I'm not sure what they eat but it can't be fish.
--Hop

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope...not a stoney. The id (blue land crab) is right, but the location (C's front yard) is out of range.

If a big ole stoney ever evolves to hop up on the land and run like this crab, we are in big trouble.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
DISSipator said:
When I was a kid. My grandparents had a place in sargent. Caney Creek I think it was. That was about 1969, and those little crabs were all over the place.
Diss, Those were prolly fiddler crabs. Those blue crabs get as big a 2' from leg tip to leg tip. Really scary when one sneaks up on ya at night. lol
--Hop

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the quick feedback, guys! Please keep the info coming so that we can update the range on our end!

Looks like we may be organizing a blue land crab/snipe hunt in Sargent. Warn the locals and fetch up the kids.
b

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,867 Posts
What time was it? Maybe he was putting some distance between his blue butt and Henry's (Linda's), before Henry felt like deflating something! lol

Pogie, you gonna be down next weekend? I'll boil a pot of crabs or shrimp for you! Heard ya'll found a pretty good trout this weekend! Congrats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts