2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for myself but for my wife. After 17 yrs of marriage I finally told her that if she didn't quit, we'd probably bury her before our youngest graduates. I've generally be quiet about it till now. So she's trying to quit "cold turkey". Being mad at me helped her get thru the first week or so. The "Smoke away" really dropped her BP or something so she's not taking that again.
Here's the deal, I need a place to stay for me and my girls for about a month or two, thru hunting season would be great :thumbsup:
Seriously, how long does it take to get to the point where she don't want to rip her own eyes out and what did you do to help the problems?
thanks

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Wow!

I have nothing to offer but positive thought and prayers and well wishes. I hope for your family's sake she beats it. I have had two parents and various other relatives go through cancer. Some made it out alive, others didn't. Can't say for 100% sure that they were caused by smoking, but neither can it be ruled out when there is smoking going on.

If you have ever had to experience a loved one going through chemo.......or worse. You would be a fool to keep smoking.

Keep us posted and Good luck.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
I've heard the physical effects are gone within a week. Not long at all. The worse part is the "oral fixation" (shutup.. LOL) type effects. Buy her lots of bags of lollipops. Sunflower seeds worked great at quitting chewing. And dont take her out drinking any time soon. LOL

·
Kamikaze
4,591 Posts
Speaking from experience (14 smoking yrs), my opinion is to stop cold turkey. Seems that my friends that use the patch, gum, or other means to slow down just keep feeding the craving and usually end up not quitting at all. It take 30 days to form a habit. So if you can hang on for 30 days, then you will have started a new habit, not smoking! One thing that I found helpful was to stay as busy as I could during the first 30 day so that my mind was occupied. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I wish her all the luck in the world!

I really hope she beats it. Give her all the slack she needs and support her, if she gets upset just know it's not her.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Good for her...I did it a couple of years ago when my wife did too. It was alot harder on her. She did the patch and I am proud of her. The day I knew she had it beat was the day she was yelling at me and I said, "you need to double up on your patches." And she pulled up her sleeve and said, "I don't have a Got Dam patch!" She did it and I know anyone can. She smoked for 20 years. I know my body was wacked out for the first few days or so. It WILL pass. Good Luck!

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
I quit cold turkey about 7 years ago after a pack a day habit of over 20 years. I had lots of support from my wife and family. I had attempted to quit several times before but failed. I believe the hardest part is the first two weeks as those are the physical withdrawl times. Once you get past those first two weeks, it is still tough, but as mentioned it is the "associations" you are working on breaking at that time. Cigarerette in the morning with coffee, when you walk outside, when you grab a beer or drink, after a meal... these are the tough times. I used cinnamon candy (red hots) to help me quit, others use lollipops.... I chewed on quite a few plastic straws as well.. I am going to say also, I was very thin when I was a smoker, and gained 30 lbs the first month just because I went from smokes to eating , and using the candy to quit.. But I have never regretted gaining the weight for loosing cigarrettes.

One of the most amazing things I did experience was being able to "smell" things again withing 3 or 4 days of quitting. It practically made me feel like I had super sense of smell.

a few lastthings, Stay away from drinking, clubs and friends that smoke for a while. I made a commitment to myself, because of the difficulty of quitting, that when I succeeded, I would never smoke another cigarrette again. I have kept that goal through today, but occassionally I still get the craving to light up a cig when I see someone light up my brand, but it is really just a passing thought.

Good luck, hang in there, and give her all the support you can and she can do it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
smoking

I smoked for about 25 years and quit 2 1/2 years ago. I went to a group hypnotism thing. I have never believed in that type of stuff, but, its hard to argue with results. There were about 60 people in the room and they tried to sell you a bunch of herbal pills along with the hypnotism. I didn't do any of that stuff. The most useful thing they did for me was provide us with a safeguard. Something to replace the cigarette. For me it was water. It was rare that I didn't have a bottle of water in my hand for the first year after I quit. Every time I thought cigarette, I hit the water. Other people used gum, straws, toothpicks. Of the three people from my group that went, two of us haven't started back. The other one started back the next day. The bottom line is that you won't quit until you are ready. You just have to keep saying no until the question doesn't come up in your mind anymore.

Two things that stick out in my mind. One is that I never want to become one of those holier than thou ex smoker's that looks down my nose at anyone who still smokes. I understand. It still smells good (sometimes). The other is that even if I were to start back I could never allow it to be such a big part of my life as it was before. It was almost like I had to plan my day around where my next cigarette would be.

Support your gal as best you can while staying out of her way. Good luck to both of you.

TD

·
Registered
12 Posts
I quit about 2 1/2 years ago, and couldn't have done it without the patches. I disagree that they lengthen the process. What they do, which sounds like what you are looking for, is take the edge off. Quitting smoking is not a short-term deal. It took me over a year to avoid cravings. However, after the 2nd week things will get better for her. Good luck. Its hard, but well worth it,

C

P.S. 1.5 packs a day X 8 years X $2.50 a pack = $10,950. If that isn't motivation enough I don't know what is! :)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I had a friend that quit about 6 months ago. He carrys a pack of cigs in his pocket all the time, when he wants a cig he just looks at the pack and says to himself "Who is stronger me or that pack of cigs."

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
35 years of 3 packs a day. I quit 13 times before it took. For me, without the patches it was impossible to get past day 5. Haven't smoked in 4 years now.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I have several levels of "encouragement" on this subject. As some in here can tell ya, I can get down right graphic or I can just hit it lightly. I have some very powerful feeling on the subject and can tone the message to suit the situation. Good luck in your attempts to get her to quit. You may well be saving her life.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Outlaw

I quit cold turkey about 2 and a half years ago - for the second time. It is one of the most miserable things a person can go through.

When I quit, I looked at the spousal unit and told her that I was going to be an a-hole for the next month and to put up with it. AND SHE DID WITHOUT SHOOTING ME!!!!!!!!

Tell her to stick with it even when the nicotine fits get REALLY, REALLY bad. It's worth it. Mine stopped after three to four weeks. I think that's because I'm starting to become and old guy. It was a lot easier when I was only 28. (quit for almost 10 years, smoked for 10 almost years and quit again)

Let her know that she's showing a lot more bravery and determination than most people.

Good luck to her - and you!

Tom Brown

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I quit once for eleven years and started again ten years ago(absolutely the stupidist thing I've ever done, well maybe).
I quit again several weeks ago and everything is going OK. I had to change my routines, ie. I take a walk after meals instead of a smoke, exercise more instead of thinking about where I left my lighter, keep busy.
I haven't used the patch or gum and I believe I've got it beat! In the last four years since I turned 50, I've stopped nail bitting, drinking alcohol and now hopefully smoking.
Heck, my wife is so happy about all this she said I can start dating again! LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
I quit 18 months ago and used the gum. I felt it took the edge off better than the patch. The best thing for me to beat the cravings was exercise...when the urge struck, it was off to the gym for a spin on the treadmill. Also help kept the weight gain to a minimum, even though I gained 25 lbs anyway.

I am sure I was impossible to live with for the first month, but my wife says it was worth it.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Your Right CROB Except....

crob said:
I quit about 2 1/2 years ago, and couldn't have done it without the patches. I disagree that they lengthen the process. What they do, which sounds like what you are looking for, is take the edge off. Quitting smoking is not a short-term deal. It took me over a year to avoid cravings. However, after the 2nd week things will get better for her. Good luck. Its hard, but well worth it,

C

P.S. 1.5 packs a day X 8 years X $2.50 a pack = $10,950. If that isn't motivation enough I don't know what is! :)
the equation is slightly off. Cigs. (the smokable ones) are now just under $5.00/pack. People here are really pushing me to quit. I have to I know. I'm skeered 'cause the longest I have gone was two weeks in Boot Camp in 1971 and have smoked cigs. (ashamedly) for 37 years. I have a Copenhagen pouch in my mouth right now. BLAHHH, CF? :confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I went in the hospital 7wks. ago I stopped cold turkey! Yup I haven't had a sneak or nothing since.My cravings are less and less each day but my breathing is better and better.......Good Luck!

Stacy

·
Registered
968 Posts
I tried to quit 500 times before it took...

I finally quit after about 25 to 30 years of smoking. I never tried patches, gums, or pills. The best way as others have said is cold turkey. Another thing that helps is to ask GOD to help you not smoke today. When tomorrow comes around ask HIM to help not smoke that day and ask for HIS help everyday after that. The idea is to not look at it as a life long commitment, but as a daily thing. And if you slip, start again. The key is to keep trying and don't give up...my .02 worth as an ex-smoker...VIC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts