2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm makeing me a light set up,I have a stage light set up already but to me the train set up I saw was brighter, these are 30 volt lamps and there are 4 of them and i need to hook them up in a series to add up to 120 so I can plug them in generator... i popped a bulb already....thanks all.........

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
William, I'm sure he wants to know how to wire them up correctly
And he ordered them from The Specialty Bulb Co.,Inc.
1-800 331-BULB
FAX (631) 563-3089
This place is in Bohemia, New York

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
thats how you do it. At least on my dock thats how they are wired. Don't skip a bulb if you blow one or you will blow them all.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
You will need to get familiar with an ohm meter. Being connected in a series configuration will lead you to believe that they are blown if one goes out. When one goes out it will open the circuit and all will go out making you believe that more than just the one are out. With an ohm meter you will be able to verify which one is indeed blown.

Biggie:D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have used them for several years, but switched this last year.

Reason: Having to replace bulbs tooooooooooooooo often.

The filaments become fairly fragile after being used, and does not take much bumping to break it.

In addition, you may have varying voltage coming from the generator.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
11andy11 said:
it ain't hard to figure out which one is blown. The bulb blacks out pretty good and you can see a broken filament.
Not if the stab connector opens just inside the lamp. Broken filiment is a good indicator however.

Biggie:D

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
We used train lights for years, and they're great. But before he passed, Dad converted to a single 110v Very Narrow Spot bulb. don't know where he got it, but the darn thing supposedly cost about $75 bucks. Sure am worried what I'm going to do when that bulb burns out.

Tag

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Tagged said:
We used train lights for years, and they're great. But before he passed, Dad converted to a single 110v Very Narrow Spot bulb. don't know where he got it, but the darn thing supposedly cost about $75 bucks. Sure am worried what I'm going to do when that bulb burns out.

Tag
That's why I switched to a single bulb. With Loco lites, I replaced them every 2-3months at a cost of approx 25.00 to 30.00 each for a total of $100-120.00. When one goes out, the others will follow pretty quickly. I can run the single bulb for 6-9 months at $75.00 a pop.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Yeah, that was our experience too. One would pop, and it would be easy to tell which it was, because it was all blackened. But it didn't really matter, because if you didn't replace all four at once, you would soon.

That single bulb seems to have lasted a pretty long time, though. Its mounted in an old traffic light fixture, and it seems dang durable.

Tag

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If your close to seabrook I will cut your wood for you and cut out your holes it looks like you was hung over lol Mine are run in series

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks greyfish and noo-noo I did what I could with a saw-zall.... I know it's not the prettiest thing but the fish don't care ...LOL

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Well the easiest and most cost effective way is a single 100 or 250 watt halogen bulb in a fixture and placed just over the water shining straight down in the water. The penetration into the water is what attracts the fish.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Why not use two 75 volt locomotive head lights? They should last a long time using a 125 volt output generator.Hook them up in series for 150 volt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts