2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
TxDuSlayer
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to Wal Mart in Sugarland and in the Sporting Goods dept all the guns were gone and display cases were for sale. I found the samething in the Missouri City Wal Mart and at Stafford Wal Mart. Does anyone know if Wal Mart bowed down to Rosie O' Donnell and her group of anti-gun freaks.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nope. Not true. WalMart has discontinued stocking guns in select markets based on the previous sales (or lack thereof). You can still special order them at any store or online they just will not be stocked at every store. They can order a lot of different guns that you will never see displayed at the store. You just have to ask for the book at the ammo counter.

With that cleared up, I have never purchased a gun from WalMart or Academy. I prefer to support the smaller shops that have gunsmiths available to service my purchases if the need arises.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Yeah... you can special order a Weatherby from Wal-Mart cheaper than anywhere else I know of. They didn't stock alot of what they sell anyways. Have to go to Wallie on-line to see what all they sell.

·
Registered
578 Posts
naw that didnt stop selling guns. Just in some stores. Ive bought a couple of guns from them. They are cheap in single shots. I did ge tthe Remington 710 .3006 from them. That was a good deal for $291.00 with a scope.

Ive bought from Academy. I like wally world and all the other small gun shops. I love them all. Anybody sellin them. Keep on keepin on.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
They have quit selling them to ME. I bought the Ruger 10/22 at Academy yesterday $55.01 cheaper than WalMart's price. I won't even be looking at guns at WalMart anymore!

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
There is a reason the guns are cheaper at the discount stores, its not because they care about the product that you get, they sell a lot, they are selling an inferior product. It is not the same and never was the same offered to the regular gun dealer. Take the 870 express it is missing a 35.00 part that is crucial to the easy of takedown. We could spot stuff like that at gun shows and would not give as much for the discount models.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Beer4bait,

The cheaper version deal always comes up in Wal*Mart conversations. Yours is the first proof I've heard. Interesting.

When I was looking for my Marlin, I called Marlin and asked them if they release cheaper (scaled down) versions to Wal*Mart. The guy from Marlin said it is absolutly not the case. He qualified this by saying running two different production lines would be too expensive and would hurt Marlin's reputation. He did say that Wal*Mart tends to bulk buy their less expensive models.

I am upset that all WallyMarts in the burbs of Dallas have removed guns. You telling me in the great state of Texas not enough people are buying guns in Walmart (always the low price.) Sounds like a political deal to me.

·
Carlos
168 Posts
The statement that WalMart guns are inferior to the rest of the line of a given manufacturer's products has been denied by all the manufacturers and I believe them! I have looked at the same gun in as many as 4 or 5 different stores and haven't been able to find ANY difference! That being said, I have only bought 1 gun ever at WalMart and it was a Marlin .22 rifle. I own at least a half-dozen .22 rifles of different styles and types and Lord knows how many shotguns, rifles, and pistols by various manufacturers. Been buying and/or collecting for over 45 years and can keep up with anyone that wants to "talk" guns. I would be most interested to know the name of the $35.00 part that Remington "leaves out" of it's 870 Express that other retailers get. Do not happen to own one of those as my shotguns are mostly Brownings, but I have access to one and I do have a Regular and Special Field 870 that are about 20 years old and I would love to know how to spot the missing part! What part is missing on the 870 Express that is available to discounters that is there on an 870 Express that I buy from, say Carter's Country? I would really like to know.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Walmart/870

69HEMI-R/T said:
The statement that WalMart guns are inferior to the rest of the line of a given manufacturer's products has been denied by all the manufacturers and I believe them! I have looked at the same gun in as many as 4 or 5 different stores and haven't been able to find ANY difference! That being said, I have only bought 1 gun ever at WalMart and it was a Marlin .22 rifle. I own at least a half-dozen .22 rifles of different styles and types and Lord knows how many shotguns, rifles, and pistols by various manufacturers. Been buying and/or collecting for over 45 years and can keep up with anyone that wants to "talk" guns. I would be most interested to know the name of the $35.00 part that Remington "leaves out" of it's 870 Express that other retailers get. Do not happen to own one of those as my shotguns are mostly Brownings, but I have access to one and I do have a Regular and Special Field 870 that are about 20 years old and I would love to know how to spot the missing part! What part is missing on the 870 Express that is available to discounters that is there on an 870 Express that I buy from, say Carter's Country? I would really like to know.
I believe that b4b is correct, there is a difference between the Remington 870 and the 870 Express. B4b is also correct that walmart tends to buy the low end of the line and the 870 Express is the low end. All 870 Express guns are the same regardless who sells them. The big discounters get price breaks by ordering early, paying in advance, ordering large lots and accepting large shipments and doing their own distribution. There isn't a lot of mark up in a gun that is sold by the mom and pop gun shop. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw a Remington 870 that wasn't an Express in Wal Mart?

·
Carlos
168 Posts
Well, the way B4B made his statement, he insinuated that the same gun from Walmart is inferior to other guns from regular gun dealers, and I believe that to be false. Of course, an 870 Express is much cheaper made than a regular 870, but I did not realize they left a part out to make it cheaper if that is what he means. I still want to know the part that is left out. I can buy a regular 870 at any WalMart in the State by ordering it. Do you believe it is an inferior gun to the one I can buy from the Mom-and-Pop gun dealer? Do you believe that the 870 Express that I buy at WalMart is inferior to any other 870 Express I can purchase anywhere else? I do not.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
I gotta back up B4B on this. Not on the gun but on some reels Wally was selling. Apparently Wally had purchased a bunch of fishing reels a while back that were of lesser quality. I don't remember all the specifics but I do remember it created an uproar of sorts. By the way, I absolutely despise going into Wallyworld. It's like going to a free concert.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
We bought one frome Wally to display. This is a fact and how you can spot them :). On the 870 express, just reach up to the barrel nut and twist it, if it does not click you got a wally gun. The parts it is missing is the 1. barrel nut with spring detent. 2. the magazine spring keeper, (the plastic part that you have to push , twist, and remove to put the plug in) and 3 The magazine that has the detents for the keeper. Remington also did this on the 1100s. When you removed the barrel the spring shoots out. Now they had some of the regular ones as to keep up with the sales and sold them at cost. Marlin used a lot of the cheaper beach wood stocks with blemishes to send to Wally. They shoot fine but have things on them or about them that you don't see up front. Since the contract with Howa in Japan, Weatherby's can be sold in Wally cheaper but you are NOT getting a Weatherby no way no how, it's a Howa through and through.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts