2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question...fished Saturday by Woody's with New Penny shrimp gulp and reeled this Mantis Shrimp in....didn't know at the time what it was....has anyone ever caught one or how large they get? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yea, Iv caught a few before when fishing with shrimp on the bottom. They are pretty ugly critters and theyll split your finger open pretty quick too. I dont know how big they get but it looks like you got a pretty good one....maybe you can submit it for a state record.....

·
GET THE NET!!
391 Posts
thats awsome.. a mantis shrimp.. my friend sells those at his fish shop..good thing you didnt touch it cause it can break you finger..

·
Registered
273 Posts
12"...That is huge...The biggest I have ever seen was about 6" and was mixed in with a batch of live shrimp we bought...surprised me when I reached in and pulled it out...dropped it real quick... I would have taken that thing home and thrown it on the grill...Pretty cool...

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
I've caught one that we measured at 13.5 about 6 years ago. We putt him on a 5 ought hook and sent him back down and came up with a sow snapper that went 22 lbs. In Florida, we used to buy small ones for bait. They have very sharp shells and can cut you bad when they flick. Be carefull handling them, preferrably with a glove.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I caught a 14" manta shrimp in the Pacific Ocean about 10 years ago. Between Anacapa Island and Channel Island Harbor in about 90fsw while I was SCUBA diving. They are dangerous to get too close to but if caught in a net or bag, they are as good as lobster to eat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts