2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Never Say Never
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally saved up enough money to put hardwood floors in my home and I need some help. Where is the best place to go for the best deal? (I live in Cypress) Is it better to get a floating floor or glued floor? What is a good thickness? (Someone mentioned to me to get 3/8" or thicker) I'm looking to go with a rustic distressed look as I have kids and a dog. I'm very excited about getting the wood floors and any advice y'all could give me would be great ~ Thanks 2coolers!

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I have both in my house, hand scraped laminate as well as glue down engineered hardwood downstairs in my living room. I honestly like both, the laminate is very durable and scratch resistant, but it will swell around the seams if it has the opportunity to absorb any type of liquid. The laminate will also chip/gouge if a heavy object is dropped on it so its not completely indestructible which is understandable. The laminate will hold up and wear better with everyday use and will resist routine scratching, etc... The engineered wood is a little more water resistant I'd say but liquids will still cause problems with it if something is spilled and not cleaned up immediately. Any type of real wood will scratch and dent easier with hard use and may not be as dog friendly if you have large dogs in the house. Ease of instillation definitely goes with the hand scraped laminate, I installed both types of flooring in my house myself and the laminate was much easier to work with. I honestly like both types of flooring, I wasn't a big fan of laminate flooring but with the hand scraped distressed looking stuff I really like it. It looks nothing like the old flat style laminate that was so ugly. You might think long and hard about a nice 24" tile, very durable and it looks very nice.

· Get-R-Dun
2,164 Posts
I have finally saved up enough money to put hardwood floors in my home and I need some help. Where is the best place to go for the best deal? (I live in Cypress) Is it better to get a floating floor or glued floor? What is a good thickness? (Someone mentioned to me to get 3/8" or thicker) I'm looking to go with a rustic distressed look as I have kids and a dog. I'm very excited about getting the wood floors and any advice y'all could give me would be great ~ Thanks 2coolers!
I put down solid wood flooring and purchased it from Floor Decor on 45 north. My installer recommended that I ask them for the glue and sealant per the manufactures recommendation, this will prevent them from covering the warranty. We installed the floor using their recommended product and it looks great

· Banned
8,269 Posts
I have laminate floating floors all thru my house, and I'll promise you it is bulletproof. It will not scuff or scratch. When I bought it, the sales clerk took a sample outside, got sand on his shoe soles and tried to scuff the sample with the sandy shoes. Not a mark. Mine is the snap together. All you have to be careful with is getting it too wet, like water standing on it for several hours.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I installed cheap laminate floors from Home Depot (I think it ran $0.99/sf) in my rental home. It was easy to install (I did it alone with occasional help from my 9 year old daughter), looks great, and is holding up very well (like brand new after 1 year so far).

There are more expensive laminates that may have a better look depending on tastes, but for my needs in this home, the cheap stuff works great and looks great!

It is a floating floor, and I'd guess much easier to install than a glued floor. It sits on a thin foam padding (also bought at Home Depot cheap). You'll need a table saw (and door jamb saw to make life easier), a miter saw, a rubber mallet, and an occasional extra set of hands.

· Whooo son!
2,318 Posts
solid wood and engineered wood floors look great, although laminates come close, you can always tell they're not real wood floors. dark floors are a pain. you'll see every scuff, scratch, dust, dirt, dog paw that ever comes across. the scraped finish looks great but is a little harder to clean and refinishing isn't all that easy if you ever decide to do so. floating with moisture barrier is a must if you're on slab with certain moisture content. glued sounds better, it sounds solid, not hollow like floating floors do. be careful with the tile/carpet transition lines. porcelain tile is relatively "thin" and once you take in account the barrier and floating 3/8 hardwood, the joint piece suddenly becomes a ramp. glued floors usually do a better job of being flush and having a smooth joint.

.02 from a DIY homeowner.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
It may not be a bad idea to buy some extra material while you're at it, in case any individual pieces need to be replaced down the road. I've run into a situation where the laminate wood flooring in my house is no longer made. Just a thought.

· Registered
597 Posts
I have real hardwoods and when they are clean they look great. With 3 dogs running around the house they don't stay clean very long. I like the solid sound of the glued down hardwoods but I would like the more durable laminate.

Also another very big expense on installing real glue down hardwoods is when your slab is not level. To have my floors leveled before any wood went down it cost me just under $2,000 but my floors were pretty bad, but is something you might want to check on. Hated that hidden expense that I was not counting on.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
x2 on get in touch with cornhusker. He was going to do my house but funds got diverted elsewhere for the time being. When i do mine, i'm going with the wood look tiles. It's cheaper than real wood, and to quote my friend who owns a custom home building company "it looks like wood and wears like steel". Cornhusker deals with Daltile, so check out what they have.

I have a 70 pound chocolate lab, that's what drives me away from real wood and to the wood look tile.

· Reel Easy
2,651 Posts
I have the wood tile in my living room, office and master bath. Cornhusker did the living room and office and it looks great. We have Ann Sacks plank tile in the master which is awesome but it was $9/sq ft just for the tile which is the reason it's only in the master bath.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts