2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used boat with a Yamaha 115 Year model 2000. I have never had a boat motor that is so hard to start, I think sometimes I am going to run my battery down before it starts. It will fire off fairly quick but will die almost immediatly. After that initial fire it is all down hill after that. I have tried several different starting sequences ie: continous choking, pumping the bulb till I get pressure and no choke. I have about a 15 min. drive to boat ramp with a transom saver that has my motor tilted at a pretty good angle that could be letting fuel to fill my carbs. too much? Any one have this problem and some advice would help me and the person behind me at the boat ramp.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
there is only 1 way to start a yamaha and i learned the hard way.Dont ever try to choke a yamaha and dont put in fast forward.In other words dont touch handle.you dont need to.All that you should do is pump bulb till full and then turn key.It will crank about 8 to 10 seconds and should start if everything is okay.Yamaha has a built in primer in motor and doesnt need any sort manual priming.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
yamaha 115

I had a lot of problems with a 115, it was a friend of mines boat and I could start it at the house on the water hose; it would crank every time. Once I would drag it to texas city it would never start. We changed the power pack and it did the same thing. He put it in 2 dealers and the problem was not ever solved. Soon after this he sold the boat to a gentleman that said he could fix it. Once the boat would start it ran fine, it was just getting it started. good luck hope u find the problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the info. Once I get it started I can immediatly put it in reverse and back out without it dying. You would think that if it is that hard to start then you would have to sit and let the engine warm-up before putting it in gear and loading the prop. I dont know!! All help is welcome!!

·
88 Ag
6,217 Posts
My experience with my yamaha 115 has been just the opposite of poppi. I remember the first time I took it out (first 115 hp) and I primed the bulb and cranked, and cranked and cranked - it would not start and the battery went dead. It was a used engine and I was used to the engines with the choke on the key (where you push in the key and turn). This wasn't like that so I just figured no choke - other than on the engine. (I found out that you do not mess with the manual choke on the engine). I then found out that there was an almost hidden toggle switch and if you primed the bulb, held the toggle switch up and turn the key it would turn over almost instantly. The engine ran like a champ from that day forward and I never had a problem starting it. Stupid in - stupid out on my part. My new 115 I do the exact same thing but this one likes to have the throttle just a little forward and absolutely no problems starting. Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts