2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good point was brought up at the meeting:

The current points system is a little confusing, and is hard to keep track of where you are.

The following system was proposed in place of the current one......similar to AMA Supercross/Motorcross points system:

50 points to first place
49 points to second place
48 points to third place
and so on and so forth

+1 point for TQ in your class

Person with the highest points at the end of the year is first place, next highest is second, etc.

The advantage of this system is that it allows you to see where you are in the points standings throughout the year. With the current system, it's difficult for people to tell where they stand throughout the year, as it is unknown until the last race as to what people's drops for the year will be.

The disadvantage of this system is that it basically eliminates drops.

Input please................?????

I'm going to leave this topic open for discussion for a few weeks, and once we decide either way, I'll update the rules and post them for the upcoming season.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Well with no drops if someone misses a race early on in the year their motivation for having a chance to be competitive through out the rest of the year goes down greatly. I know sometimes work, a wedding, funeral or other "have to go" event will knock alot of us out for the whole year. By summer you could see motivation for attendance of HARC points series drop like a rock when they know they cant win anyways.

I was never really confused with our current system as I would just print the points sheet out, X out everyones top 2 highest points race and readd to see where everyone really was. The math is pretty simple. As for points going up instead of down in points that does make more sense and might clear up some confusion.

But how about more points for quals? I mean the way quals are now the +1 TQ only buys you the equivalent of 1 position in the main. So they really just act as practice runs anyways with such little importance yet they take up almost 75% of our time on the stand. Then someone could do really good in quals and in a main some lap traffic nub could bump you the wrong way and brake an arm in the last 3 minutes and you are screwed points wise. How about 50points per race with half given for positions in main and other half for qualifying positions? this will reward more competition in the quals and yet not be such a do or die for great drivers who have a stroke of bad luck in the mains.

·
Team Backmarker
455 Posts
here's a suggestion that might cover the bases

Every driver that signs in will receive 20 points.
A-mains finishes:
1st place - 40 points
2nd place - 38 points
3rd place - 36 points
4th place - 34 points
5th place - 32 points
6th place - 30 points
7th place - 28 points
8th place - 26 points
9th place - 24 points
10th place - 22 points
11th place - 20 points
12th place - 18 points
13th place - 16 points
14th place - 14 points
15th place - 12 points
16th place through final finishing position - 10 points

At year-end the two lowest points races will be discarded.

Ctrl+f, points awarded

·
Having fun, one tiny car race at a time!
403 Posts
I think the points system works pretty well as is. I'd really hate to see any changes in the drops. if I knew missing one race was pretty well going to screw me in the points for the whole year, I'd be much less likely to even try to make each HARC race. I'd treat them just like a club race then, I'd go if I didn't have anything going on that weekend.

·
Hot Bodies Hara D8/D8E/D8T
669 Posts
50 points to first place
49 points to second place
48 points to third place
and so on and so forth

+1 point for TQ in your class

Person with the highest points at the end of the year is first place, next highest is second, etc.
This system works for me, real simple whoever has the most points win.

·
Serpent America|XCEED|Novarossi
135 Posts

A-mains finishes:

1st place - 40 points
2nd place - 38 points
3rd place - 36 points
4th place - 34 points
5th place - 32 points
6th place - 30 points
7th place - 28 points
8th place - 26 points
9th place - 24 points
10th place - 22 points
11th place - 20 points
12th place - 18 points
13th place - 16 points
14th place - 14 points
15th place - 12 points
16th place through final finishing position - 10 points​

Ctrl+f, points awarded
+1:biggrin:

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like the going down by two's instead of one's.......

anymore comments from anyone? Thinking of adopting this system for next year, so please speak up.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
As I stated at the meeting, I do like the new version. For drops we could ge rid of their two worst finishes (races they actually made)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

A-mains finishes:
1st place - 40 points
2nd place - 38 points
3rd place - 36 points
4th place - 34 points
5th place - 32 points
6th place - 30 points
7th place - 28 points
8th place - 26 points
9th place - 24 points
10th place - 22 points
11th place - 20 points
12th place - 18 points
13th place - 16 points
14th place - 14 points
15th place - 12 points
16th place through final finishing position - 10 points

Ctrl+f, points awarded
+1:biggrin:
+2

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like the 20 & 2 system also. I also like the idea of more weight on the qualifing issue too. However, when you think about it the same luck is had in full scale racing. So it falls back to it's better to be lucky than good at times.

20 & 2 systems is cool.

Lowest points highest points doesn't matter as long as you can add and subtract. We should be able to figure it out.

·
Serpent America|XCEED|Novarossi
135 Posts
The fewer points given the closer and more competitive the series will be.
That is why I would go with the Houston Raceway Park system, but I would NOT give the “20 sign in points”.
The 10 points for 16th place to final position is enough. Equals the old -50 point system.

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree with Earl here on the 20 points just to sign up.....I would think 10 is a better number as well.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
I also agree that 20 points for signing up is too much. Just widens the gap for those that can't make a race.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
10 to 20 points for moving your finger on the sign up sheet and standing there with a pulse??? Come on! Weight the Quals with points instead. People race hard on those and that would be more fair; not to mention they wouldnt walk away with nothing if they did get knocked out in the main due to a break (50/50). I do like the counting upwards and +2 off per positions mentioned so far. Keep up the feed back. :)

·
Team Backmarker
455 Posts
I also agree that 20 points for signing up is too much. Just widens the gap for those that can't make a race.
I agree. how's this?

Every driver that signs in will receive 0 points for wiggling a pen.
TQ - 6 points
A-mains finishes:
1st place - 40 points
2nd place - 38 points
3rd place - 36 points
4th place - 34 points
5th place - 32 points
6th place - 30 points
7th place - 28 points
8th place - 26 points
9th place - 24 points
10th place - 22 points
11th place - 20 points
12th place - 18 points
13th place - 16 points
14th place - 14 points
15th place - 12 points
16th place through final finishing position - 10 points At year-end the two lowest points races will be discarded.

6 points for TQ is a suggestion. TQ should get a bonus. What do you think is fair?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So, in actuality you get 10 points for showing up anyway, for signing up. If you sign up run a qual then break whenever you position in qualifying still gets you a main. I've had a couple of breaks and still placed higher than people who didn't qualify up to my starting race.

So either way you get points for signing up AND racing weather it's the qual or main. It's just that it seems anyone not in 15th place or better will all be tied. If they all get 10 points.

Am I right in my logic here?

I guess it really wouldn't become an issue until I break top 15. Right now I am right at the bubble but, haven't crossed the threshold yet.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Qualifier points

Sorta long post but worth it, please read completely!

Well here are a few reasons I think rewarding quals is a good idea:

1) Rewards effort for what we are racing the majority of the day/night.
2) Gives good racers who bust out in a main due to bad luck some chance to walk away with points they rightfully earned from their quals.
3) Rewards those who even raced all day! Some one(s) (who were good) could come late for the mains take 1st or 1st 2nd and 3rd (group of guys) and walk away with all the top points. This would prevent that and reward effort and commitment to the whole racing process.
4) Conversely to #3 if you have an domestic or work emergency that you have to leave early before the mains you are not gypped on getting the all or none points on the main (like we do now) if you earned some in the quals!

Some might say:
"But thats not how real racing is!"
F**k that. This is play model racing, not real car racing. The real world racing points are messed up too but also have a different dynamics to them. Real world quals and positioning for a main are far more important than in R/C due to the difficulty of passing in the real world. Crashes due to passing and traffic in the real world put you out of the race more permanently and is harder to do, hence real world racers are more carful about passing, SO qualifying positions for the main are much more critical. Have seen how hard it is to pass on a closed course CORR stadium truck race? Its hard!

R/C passing by comparison is not as bad. Since we often recover undamaged from most of our tumbles qualifying for position 1st vs. 4th matters less on a 10-20 minute main. So dont compare to the real world. Here in R/C, quals should count for more to make up for that real world difference.

Hence here is my suggestion:

Quals earn 30 pts out of 60 pts for night:
1st place - 30
2nd place - 29
3rd place - 28
4th place - 27
5th place - 26
.... All the way down to...
20th place - 11 points
and 21st+ positions gets 10 points each for attendance

Mains get last 30 points out of 60:
Identical to Qualifier points structure.

This gives reward for all for racing the whole night/day. And 20 total points minimum for attendance. While I was not really a fan of the have a pulse and getting points it does reward showing up and contributing to the payouts too. We all have had domestic emergencies that call us away from our race and at least point wise you don't walked away with nothing and feel totally demoralized by your points standings. In the end, showing up is better than not showing up at all.

"Why should 29th position get same amount of points as someone who got 21st place?" By the last quarter of year if you were not consistently getting in A-main in your division, maybe a few B-mains then you are not going to be competitive points wise for the series. Even if we had enough racers to make a C-main in a division if you are constantly earning points that far down, it will not matter (points wise) by the end of year anyways. Sorry but thats the truth.

And as I said before I am a fan of 2, and only 2 low drops at end of year. Seriously think about this as I make these suggestions not for me but for all the great racers that get the shaft on our current system. Its not a terrible system we have now but this is a hobby and real world emergencies takes precedence and I've seen people get demoralized by it when they fall out of points competitiveness because they couldn't make a race or could only stick around for quals or mains but not both and then not show up anymore since they are out of the running points wise. In the end, bigger races and more competition are more fun so lets keep more carrot (points) on that proverbial stick.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
This seems like a lot of debates over points. I guess HARC should give away a few trophies at the end of the year to make the points actually mean something. Just an outside observation

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ummm.....we do give away trophies......$300 worth of them to be exact.....same as last year.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts