2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to run new electricity out to the pier from the main box under the house. Already have trenched and laid 1 1/2" conduit. The run is about 200' - 225' (I cant remember) from house to beginning of pier, then I am going to put a small breaker box there, then run the remaining 30' or so off the small box to the pier accessories. I need to run a boat lift seperately from regular outlets placed on the pier for lights, etc. Have a mercury vapor light also. I figure a 30 amp breaker for the boat lift, maybe a couple 20's for the other items?? What are your suggestions?

What size, type wire do I need for the run from the house to the pier, 200'? How much should it cost?

What size type wire do I need to run the rest of the way? How much should that cost?

Don't ask me 110 or 220. I'm no electrician by any means and am scared of it. LOL The boat lift plugs into a normal looking electrical outlet on the pier right now. I want to wire it solid and just cut it off from the new breaker box when I'm gone. With the flooding lately, splices in the line under the pier :D , etc. I need to redo it all. The lift wont spin the motor as I think the line is holding back volts now, dont have a tester either. LOL Starter (cylenoid??) on the motor is brand new. No, the crappy job was done before I bought the place. Trying to do it right this time.

Thanks for the input.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
The best thing you could do is call an electrician, if you don't know much or scared of electricity this would be the best thing. You need more info up here to determine your exact electrical needs, I'm GUESSING that the wire size would at least need to be 1/0 wire to run 70 [email protected] a distance of 200' (1 50 amp plug, 2 20 amp plugs) with this you'll need 2 strands of black 1/0 for the 220v and a 1 neutral wire of the same guage (1/0)that is white, you'll want to run a green wire(10-12 guage) for ground and you'll want to install GFCI breakers for dock use. By running 220v, you can have 2 independant 115v circuits. Your breaker boxes must have the same rating that you want for the total amperage(70 amps). Reduce the amount of amps(current) and you can reduce the wire size. Size of wire is detemined by the total amount of amperage vs. length of run. Also there is a big difference between copper wire and aluminum wire. You'll want something like THWN wire (insulation on wire). BTW..I'm not an electrician by trade

·
Registered
40 Posts
Infamousj elect

I just did my pier, you need to start out with at least #2 cable to the breaker on the pier. Go with at least a 50 amp breaker at the house panel. My electrican is the one that did all of the calculations for me. Go with the heavy cable so that you will never have any problems. it will fit just fine in 1.5" conduit. After the pier box you can use normal 10 to 12 gauge wire for all of your other stuff. Good luck!!! Hotair

·
Registered
850 Posts
J, run # 2 copper wires to your new panel. You need 1black, 1white, 1red and a #6 ground (use colored tape to mark the ends) thhn or thwn will work, whatever Home Depot sales. Put them on a 2-pole 100amp breaker in your existing panel. GFCI breakers should be used on the dock. The ampreage of the boat lift depends on what type of plug is on the cord, it should say the voltage and amperage on the plug or the motor.

I'll gladly come help you if you show me that pole climbing trick of yours!! LOL

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Thanks also Profish for the offer but I might just have it covered now.

BE, thanks for the info also. I am not sure about climbing a 2-pole however. 1-pole was enough. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts