2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a handheld GPS but not sure which one to go with? I have always had a mounted Garmin, but would like a good handheld unit. Any recommendations? Would like something in the 200 dollar range, not even sure you can pick up a good one for that. Would mainly use it for bay navigation. Any help would be great. Thanks guys

·
My rod and reel comfort me. St Pete 8lb
212 Posts
Aggie
I don't think you are going to be happy with a handheld unit.
Those small screens are just to hard to see.
I had a Garmin 76csx for a long time and it was ok at the time, but I would not go back to a handheld again.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boonedog, I agree, but looking for something to take on the mowdy S-10. Did not want to mount a unit on this little thing and was just wanting a decent handheld to take when i took her out. Have always used a mounted larger one so didnt know much about the handhelds.

Looked at the gamin oregon online seems nice, but was looking for a less expensive route.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey coastal thanks for the input, found a few online. I am kind of ignorant I guess when it comes to GPS, since I have used my Garmin mounted unit the whole time, but on this 72 does it have all the coastal waters on it? Mainly the bay systems, like reefs etc? Or do you have to download or buy the bluewater charts?

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
no, sorry no map, but it is extremely accurate, been using them for 10 years as backups, never really missed the map feature once you get several waypoints in.

but guess thats why it's 100 bucks.....LOL

buy the cig. charger . they are pretty battery hungry running all day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Go with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. They don't get any better. Regardless what you get, DO NOT buy it from Academy, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, or any other retail store. Save yourself $100.00 and get it from www.theGPSstore.com . com or www.compuplus.com . I bought mine from Compuplus. They have the best prices out there. Also, get the City Navigator software and you can use it like a TomTom while driving. I use mine mainly for geocaching www.geocaching.com . Check it out, it is a lot of fun especially with kids. Thanks - 69rrvert

http://www.compuplus.com/Gps/Garmin-GPSMAP-60Cx-Handheld-GPS-1007238.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts