2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is common practice to bring along the old equalizer on many fishing/waterfowl trips, but does anyone know the law in Texas about whether it is legal to have a handgun in your boat? Is it like having one in your car?

·
Duck Slayer
773 Posts
It is legal. That is coming from a GW. If for some reason you get stopped and you really don't want to mess with the fine line, just tell them you are going hog hunting after you finish your waterfowl / fishing trip. This came from a veteran Warden. He said it is really a fine line, but he would never issue a citation for carrying as long as he doesn't catch you using it illegally

·
Registered
321 Posts
Only thing is that,if your handgun is a .22 or .38
That might not fly with the Game Warden.
Now if you hand gun is a .44 mag or something bigger,then I would think
you could get away with your story on going hog hunting.

·
Duck Slayer
773 Posts
Not true. I asked that specific question. I told him that I will carry a 38 special with me sometimes and he said it does not matter what caliber it is as long as your intent is to hunt hogs in designated areas. I really don't think that a GW would write a ticket for carrying a handgun for protection from wild animals, and if he did the judge would be very quick to throw it out. Why would you carry a .22 with you anyway? If I am carrying a pistol it will definately have enough umph to kill something big. If you are not concealing it then why would you be worried about how big or small it is? Just my $.02.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I was shark fishing in Galveston Bay last year, I caught a 150# plus Bull shark, knowing that I was looking for a big shark I took my .38.
Once we gaffed the shark, we shot it. Less than 5 minutes later the game wardens pulled up along side us and the rookie totally freaked out, because by buddy left the gun in the open.
The senior warden asked where I kept it, I told him, "in the holster under the front locker by the life jackets" he told me that was a good place and to hurry up and get it put back in its place. Then they left, no big deal..

So, I think it's Ok?? BTW I do NOT have a CHL....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Tell them the truth, or tell them nothing. You aren't breaking any law whether you are going hog hunting or it just gives you a nice warm feeling to have it nearby. Start making up cock and bull storys and acting like you are guilty of something you could be in for a long day.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got one in the console and have never had a fish that couldn't be handled with a gaff (I don't keep sharks). A handgun in a rocking boat with slippery floors is an unecessary hazard to all aboard whether legal or not. Mine is going to be removed next time we go fishing.

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
Levelwind said:
Tell them the truth, or tell them nothing. You aren't breaking any law whether you are going hog hunting or it just gives you a nice warm feeling to have it nearby. Start making up cock and bull storys and acting like you are guilty of something you could be in for a long day.
+1

·
Registered
278 Posts
Levelwind said:
thats a big 10-4

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
I always have a .45 automatic in the console. I've always told the CG or the GW that it's there and have neve had a problem with it and that includes before I got my CHL years ago.

Slippery floors, rocking boat, or dry deck and calm seas it's going to be there. Pirates and stuff you know? ;)

TH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts