2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for all the suggestions on what to see. Three days is definitely not enough time to see it all; it's scarcely time enough to scratch the surface. Rather than recount the events step-by-step, let me touch briefly on the highs and lows.

The highs points, for me, were the things that most strongly gripped my emotions and brought tears to my eyes. In the sequence that i visited them they were: the USMC Iwo Jima Memorial, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery and the Vietnam War Memorial. My emotions ran so high that I could not speak and tears ran, unstopped, down my face for 20 minutes as I paused to touch each panel of the Vietnam Memorial. The recollection brings them back even as I write these words.

The only low also became lesson number 1 in "Bob's Complete Guide to the Nation's Capital": #1 - Just because you miraculously find an open parking meter, don't assume that you may park there for a time comensurate with the number of quarters you drop into the machine. Most meters are governed by caveats found, occasionally, but not always, on sign posts that may or may not be visable from your position at the curb. Fee for lesson #1 - $100.00 per session.

Dining was a delight. Rich food, pleasant wines, marvelous atmosphere and good companions. Serendipity also played a part when comped tickets to the Cirque du Soleil slipped into my pocket for the Saturday Matinee. This version of Cirque, Varekai, will visit Houston and Austin during the winter months. Catch it if you can.

I'm sure Laurie and I will make another trip in an effort to see and do more. We need to go during the summer months so we can catch the Evening Parade at Marine Barracks. I've always wanted to see the silent drill team in action and her step-dad was in the Marine Band for about 25 years. Another great time to visit might be in January of 2005...if I can just finagle an invitation to W's Inaugural Ball and get the old tux let out one more time. What a country!!!

Bob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.