2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock in Sabine Pass at 5:00pm Friday the 30th. ran 10 hrs in nice seas to the Gunnison rig, 167.6 miles or 149 nm, from Sabine Pass. There was not much topwater action, we tried it for 30 min or so, switched to diamond jigs and we had a fish on the second we could get the bait down. The blackfin we the smallest I have ever seen. We only fished for 3 hours until daylight, then trolled the rig, and the other rig 2 miles west, for about 2 hours. We didnt catch anything trolling. We ran in to the flower garden, trolled there for one hour, and nothing. We fished rigs for a quick limit of AJ's, the ran in for a night of snapper fishing. Final count was 2 yellowfin, 1 ling, several types of snapper, several small blackfin, we could have loaded the boat with them.

John D

Attachments

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Great fish !!!

But I'm not real sure I would post That you fished the Garden!!!!!!

Last I heard it was off limits to Fishing....

May be I'm worng???

John

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,634 Posts
Here ya go. You were ok to fish there.

Regulations
  • anchoring
    • no anchoring in areas less than 100-feet deep
    • no anchoring in shallow areas if buoy is available
    • must use soft fibre line, not chain to secure anchor
  • dredging, discharging materials, deposits on seafloor, removing shells or coral or other resources life are prohibited
  • fishing
    • spearfishing illegal
    • only hook-and-line fishing is allowed; no long-lines, trawls, or traps
  • preexisting oil and gas leases remain valid; only one within the sanctuary, one mile from the reef and at the edge adjacent to the MMS no-activity area

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
note that hook & line fishing is legal (I have seen some HUGE snaps there at night!), spearfishing is not legal - in fact IIRC you may not even posess one on the boat while in the sanctuary.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
WTG JohnD! Many ppl fish the gardens without actually being on the official sanctuary, which is small compared to the 20 or so miles wide area around both gardens.

·
tuna virgin NO MAS
812 Posts
nice fish. sounds like one heck of a boatride too....not too often we have nice calm seas like that....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts