2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are in the final stages of designing our house plans. I had a few requests, but #1 on my list was a Gun Vault room. I've had large gun safes in the past and I would like to have a room dedicated to guns, so I'm getting one! I've talked to our builder about how it would be built (concrete walls), but the door is still up in the air. I've done some research on actual safe doors and also metal reinforced doors. This room will only be accessible through our master closet and also hidden either behind a full length mirror or column of shelves.

Long story short, anyone have any recommendations on what type of door to use? A local dealer would be preferred (College Station/Houston area). I know actual safe doors can start in the $2,000+ range and go up from there.

·
Native Texan
10,968 Posts
I am planning the same thing and intend on using a security grade hollow metal door, with weld on hinges and channel iron frame and heavy box lock.

It won't be "bomb proof" construction, but it will probably 2 hour rated for fire. If the thief has a cutting torch he can get in, but I don't intend on spending $2k on a vault door.

Don't forget the ceiling of the gun room. I am going to pour 12" of overhead concrete. Tunnel form style construction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
From experience, put a 3' door on the Closet that accesses the gun room. Don't ask me how I know. Make the "Gun Room" Large enough for you filing cabinets to store your important papers. Ventilation is important, this will keep down moisture, and can be used as a safe room in the event of a Hurricane, or tornado.

For the walls, I used solid filled CMU with 5/8" rebar topped with solid filled bond beam. The Ceiling is [email protected]" oc with 2 layers of 1-1/8" sturdy floor, then 4 layers of 5/8" gyp. I seriously doubt someone will try to break in thru the ceiling, but it is about as fire proof as you can get without getting really expensive.

The door is heavy steel grade with steel frame, auto closing hinges and keypad lock. My biggest concerns are not someone with a torch getting into the guns, but hands that should not have access to them.

All this and my most precious things are my wife and kid. Everything else can be replaced.

make sure to put in a phone line. I also store my computer back up in my room.

·
Banned
5,631 Posts
one thing to think of is the location of your room. if a fire happens the closet areas will be the hottest area once the fire gets to it, i'm not sure how long a closet full of clothes will burn or how hot it will get, but I bet it ain't pretty.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,162 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Funny we tried to buy a foreclosure house down the street from where we ended up and finally got to see it a few months ago when it went up for sale a year later. It had a reinforced master closet door with a key pad entry. Speaking to the neighbors (From up north.) She mentioned the guy was eccentric with a bunch of guns and cash or something. I was like wait a second, how many guns and how much cash does one need to have before being considered eccentric? I think it scared her a bit.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
A piece of carbon steel plate, 3/8 thick, will be less than 200 bucks, hinges welded on, maybe another 100.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
If its concealed, then why would you need a super door?

Who are you trying to keep out? If its just punks and meth heads, the door only needs to be tougher than the tools in your garage and your neighbor's garage.

If its professionals breaking in to steal the hope diamond, you are humped anyway. Most people can't afford a vault that will keep true pros out. Plus, if they really want to get in there, they grab your wife, put the gun in her mouth, and you open the vault. Then they kill both of you, put your bodies in the vault, and close the door on their way out. All that concrete insures no neighbors hear them shoot you in the head.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I built my gun room 25 years ago in our new home 8" solid concrete filled cinder block wall, roof is solid 6" concrete with two 6" AC vents that close during fire , 20# chunks of steel suspended by 150# mono to rafters buns during fire slamming vents closed! Covered entire roof with fire proof batting insulation.
I used the highest rated fire door I could find at the time, several hour burn time cost over$600 dollars 25 years ago!
The one thing I did not install was a drain for my dehumidifier BIG mistake
You will need a dehumidifier tons of moisture in all the concrete, AC will not get it out ! Emptying dehumidifier is a pain!
My room is about 10'x6x11'tall
I can store over 75 long guns, double racked, file cabinet room to spare!

Best investment in a new home I ever did! love my gun room!

Just make sure you put a drain in it!

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
If its concealed, then why would you need a super door?

Who are you trying to keep out? If its just punks and meth heads, the door only needs to be tougher than the tools in your garage and your neighbor's garage.

If its professionals breaking in to steal the hope diamond, you are humped anyway. Most people can't afford a vault that will keep true pros out. Plus, if they really want to get in there, they grab your wife, put the gun in her mouth, and you open the vault. Then they kill both of you, put your bodies in the vault, and close the door on their way out. All that concrete insures no neighbors hear them shoot you in the head.
There you go using common sense again Ernest....lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts