2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old wiemeraner and need help training. He will set, stay and come. I would love to train him myself just dont know where to start.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds like you have a great start. Those basic commands (plus heel) are the most important in the field. Read 'Gun Dog' by Wolters, his methods worked well for me and my dog. For a better understanding of how to train a wiemeraner do a google search on versatile gun dogs. That will help you adapt training methods meant for retrevievers or pointers to get the full potential out of your dog. If you havent heard of versatile gun dogs, its a group of sporting dogs that includes wiems, vizslas, german wirehairs, and a few others. Versatile gun dogs favor pointing instincts, but also have strong retrieving instincts and are happy to do water work as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I trained my GSP. Get some of the training videos and a pigeon trap/launcher. The videos take it step by step. The pigeons are great b/c of the strong smell and abundance. Just give your dog alot of latitude and make it fun. Most of the training will be self taught by the dog in the field as time goes on.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm on my 2nd weimer...great dogs,kinda hard headed compared to the pointers I used to have,but more versitile..as a previous post said the are good water dogs also...mine leans more towards retreiving than quail pointing...we've been kinda short on quail at the lease the last few years so she has gotton more work at retreiving...wonder why she's better there huh...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts