2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a shotgun camo'ed out. There is a dye that is soaked in water and then the gun is dipped into it and covered. Anyone have any idea what the dye is called or how to find it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Call out Bass Pro Shop and ask for the gun department. They used to have brochures that a place did it in Katy. I'll tell you that its not cheap, about three years ago it was about 200.00 to have it done.

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,302 Posts
TXDUKBUSTER said:
I am looking to get a shotgun camo'ed out. There is a dye that is soaked in water and then the gun is dipped into it and covered. Anyone have any idea what the dye is called or how to find it?
What kind of gun?

I did a couple of cheap Youth 820 pumps. I would not likely attempt a nicer gun but these were $200 each. I did nothing more than sand them down and used rustoleum camo colors just to break-up the coloring.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got my barrel powdercoated for $10. It looks good and won't rust! I went with it instead of camo b/c it was so much cheaper! Hard to beat for $10.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's a gun. Spray paint. I've done it to two of my rifles and they turned out great.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
TXDUKBUSTER said:
It isn't a dye. It is a camo film. It is floated on the surface of the water in the dip tank. An activator is sprayed on it and then the prepped part is dipped thru it. Not a D-I-Y type thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who responded The gun is a 870 super mag w/ synthetic stock Used 3 seasons and is showing the results of the salt marsh.
I started looking into this about a month ago here in the Houston area and the average price is around 300.00 to get it done right. I didn't pay much more for the gun new, so I thought I would look around and see if it was even possible to get the materials and set up yet another home project. All of you guys pointed me in the right direction and I found,
1, cannot find the dye anywhere
2, let someone with experience do this
3, found I could get it done alot cheaper

It is called water transfer printing, and has to be done right the 1st time.
Thanks again for all your help
TDB

·
Banned
591 Posts
i would ask around i had my 870 done by an individual and it only cost 100 the quilty on a scale of 1 to 10 is about a 7 but its a waterfowl gun its not suppose to be pertty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts