2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Jetty Fisher
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/Gals,

Every year I cook gumbo for my sons B-Day party and I always am looking for new ideas as far as side dishes and such!! What do you typically have with your Gumbo??

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
White rice, fresh French bread and Tabasco.

Gumbo don't need no side dish.

But seeing as how it's for your sons party, maybe some fresh cornbread, fried shrimp, fried pickles... Just throwin stuff out there for you. Bacon wrapped chicken breast with a sliver of jalapeño inside cooked on the grill?

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
White rice, fresh French bread and Tabasco.

Gumbo don't need no side dish.

But seeing as how it's for your sons party, maybe some fresh cornbread, fried shrimp, fried pickles... Just throwin stuff out there for you. Bacon wrapped chicken breast with a sliver of jalapeño inside cooked on the grill?
you forgot filé

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Duck Gumbo and the side would be crawfish with corn taters and onions. That will make you slap your moma.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Dirty rice would maybe conflict with the flavor of the gumbo?
Mrs Soap made gumbo tonite. I usually prefer plain white rice with my gumbo, but tonite, we cooked the rice in chicken broth instead of just water. I like Knorr's boulion cubes. Use 1 1/2 cube per 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water. Gives it a nice flavor and worked well with the chicken and sausage gumbo. With a seafood gumbo I might use Knorr's shrimp boullion to cook the rice.

Just my .02

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
you name it...it goes

French Bread,Potato Salad,Boil Eggs(in your gumbo)...fried fish,hushpuppies.....crackers with butter on top...crabs, raw oysters with homemade horseradish sauce with a twist of lemon,,,,LETS EAT..

Attachments

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
Maybe a big pot of jambalaya? If you're making seafood gumbo; make a chicken and sausage jambalaya.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Don't make it confusing....white rice & french bread....I like to whip up some garlic butter to gently top the french bread, & have an abundant supply of sub-thermic Shiner Bock readily available before, during, & after the meal...

·
Rolling Offset Flat Turn on 3... Break
8,036 Posts
shrimp brochette

I make shrimp brochette skewers on the pit with home made garlic butter.

Take shrimp and a slice of jalapeno pepper, pepper jack cheese, wrapped in bacon, brushed with the butter on the pit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Being from Gueydan, LA we always had white rice with every meal ! And on Friday nite I will serve my chicken and sausage gumbo over white rice with warm french bread and warm potato salad! My mother would be proud!

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
It's gotta be white rice, or even brown rice because it's better for you, but never dirty rice.

If anyone can tell me where to find real French bread in this area, please let me know. There is a severe shortage of anything that even comes close West of the Sabine. :( I can get good gumbo here, but the bread simply cannot be had.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
It's gotta be white rice, or even brown rice because it's better for you, but never dirty rice.

If anyone can tell me where to find real French bread in this area, please let me know. There is a severe shortage of anything that even comes close West of the Sabine. :( I can get good gumbo here, but the bread simply cannot be had.[/QUOTE

Our Kroger (518) bakery here in Pearland has come up with a tolerable version. It's probably not the thick crust, heavy knead you're used to, but we like it. It is much easier than digging out the bread maker & mixing it up from scratch (which I would have to do for guests coming in from East of the Sabine as not to get critiqued too hard)...My wife combines the french & sourdough mixes when she makes it from scratch....my personal favorite

1 - 20 of 55 Posts