2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend whose father is coming to visit him in late February or earlier March. He lives in California, so it is a long trip for him. His son ask that I take him and his father fishing and I was happy to tell him yes, no problem. I have an 18' Kenner that I will use to take him fishing.

Where would you suggest we fish in Galveston to catch Sand Trout or Gulf Trout that is protected? Don't need anyone's honey hole, but any general information would be appreciated. We will launch at the Galveston Yacht launch. I know it cost to launch, but I want the father and his son, to have a good trip and not have to run far to fish.

Thanks, pick ><>

· Registered
46 Posts
I have a friend whose father is coming to visit him in late February or earlier March. He lives in California, so it is a long trip for him. His son ask that I take him and his father fishing and I was happy to tell him yes, no problem. I have an 18' Kenner that I will use to take him fishing.

Where would you suggest we fish in Galveston to catch Sand Trout or Gulf Trout that is protected? Don't need anyone's honey hole, but any general information would be appreciated. We will launch at the Galveston Yacht launch. I know it cost to launch, but I want the father and his son, to have a good trip and not have to run far to fish.

Thanks, pick ><>
Fish the turning basin at Bayport

· Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,335 Posts
Go to the ship slips down the channel. Water will be 20ft. Drop down and catch sandies all day. Use small hooks and small pieces of bait to up your hook up.

Also the drop off from 4ft flats to 20ft channel in front of the battleship west of Sea wolf park.

All those piers between Yacht Basin and ferry landing.

Inside the harbor where the wet slips are etc.....

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw someone say the sand and gulf trout do not freeze well, that you should eat them fresh and not freeze. What has been your experience? Can you vacuum seal them? Or just fry them up fresh.

· Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,335 Posts
No limits whatsoever for sand trout.
Yes any bait. Dead shrimp...just enough of a piece to cover the hook point and barb.

It doesn't freeze as well..... but if you dry each filet as in pat dry with a towel then put on another towel while you do more till you get enough to vacuum seal....they are fine. Dry dry dry and they will freeze fine as you are used to.

Don't freeze what you plan to eat in the following ten days..... just keep refrigerated and enjoy!

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the advice on how to vacuum seal them. I am hoping that we have a fun time and catch a bunch of them. Will take photos and will post here. blessings, pick ><>

· Registered
384 Posts
All good advice. Also, be mindful near the walls at Seawolf park - lots of rock there that can get you hung up. The other spot you can try is by the ferry landing - there are some good spots around those pilings that can hold fish.

Good luk.

· Registered
6 Posts
Saw someone say the sand and gulf trout do not freeze well, that you should eat them fresh and not freeze. What has been your experience? Can you vacuum seal them? Or just fry them up fresh.
I've been eating frozen sandies weekly for the last couple months, the key is to fry them at a hotter temp than you would most other fish, we deepfry them outside on a propane burner at 375 until golden brown and they're never mushy. Also I'm freezing them in water but vacuum packing should work good too.

· Do you know who I think I am???
5,476 Posts
They're cannibals, if you run short of bait use one for cut bait. It stays on the hook real well.
For sure! The best sand trout bait is cut sand trout... if you catch a small one filled it up and cut the filled in strips and wrap it around a treble hook (skin side in, meat out). Caught thousands that way.

· Team Reef Monkey
200 Posts
I've been eating frozen sandies weekly for the last couple months, the key is to fry them at a hotter temp than you would most other fish, we deepfry them outside on a propane burner at 375 until golden brown and they're never mushy. Also I'm freezing them in water but vacuum packing should work good too.
This! Good advice. We have had the same experience, and it also works with frozen sand bass out of fresh water.
What is it with these sand fish???? 🤣🍺

1 - 20 of 24 Posts