2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to say I told you so, but you guys didn't seem to take it seriously when I mentioned it about Kingfish. Now here comes the Reef Fish Version. Read the release it says it for RECS and COMS.
The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council will convene its Ad Hoc Reef Fish Limited Access Privilege Program Advisory Panel in Tampa, Florida at the Gulf Council Offices, 2203 N. Lois Avenue, Suite 1100. The meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. Monday, December 14, 2009 and conclude by 4:30 p.m.
During its meeting, the Advisory Panel will discuss issues related to the design, adoption, implementation, and evaluation of a reef fish limited access program for the commercial and recreational sectors.

Copies of the agenda and other related materials can be obtained by calling the Council office at 813-348-1630.

The Ad Hoc Reef Fish Limited Access Privilege Program Advisory Panel membership includes representatives from the commercial, for-hire charter/head boat, and recreational sectors, as well as representatives from non-governmental organizations. Members were appointed by the Council to assist the Council in designing and evaluating management measures that would consider all issues related to the adoption of a reef fish limited access program for the commercial and recreational sectors. In designing the program, consideration would be placed on the trading of catch shares between sectors.

Although other non-emergency issues not on the agenda may come before the Advisory Panel for discussion, in accordance with the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, those issues may not be the subject of formal action during these meetings. Actions of the Advisory Panel will be restricted to those issues specifically identified in the agenda and any issues arising after publication of this notice that require emergency action under Section 305(c) of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, provided the public has been notified of the intent to take action to address the emergency.

Meetings are physically accessible to people with disabilities. Requests for sign language interpretation or other auxiliary aids should be directed to Tina O'Hern at the Council at least five days prior to the meeting date.
The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is one of eight regional fishery management councils established by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976. The Council prepares fishery management plans designed to manage fishery resources in the Exclusive Economic Zone of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I don't want to say I told you so, but you guys didn't seem to take it seriously when I mentioned it about Kingfish. Now here comes the Reef Fish Version. Read the release it says it for RECS and COMS.
Two different issues. As I told you, the king mackeral LAPP discussion has been ongoing for some time and to date has only involved the commercial sector. Its main proponents have been the existing king mackeral commercials. This is obviously a whole different kettle of fish - not a "version". Be careful which bandwagon you jump on here, if you are, today, an offshore reef fish fisherman. With an ever increasing number of fishers, using technology that's dramatically improving every six months or so, pursuing a stable or declining population of fish, there are probably only two ways to go.

·
Registered
399 Posts
rodwade, you are comparing apples and oranges. The kingfish proposal is strictly for the commercials. I believe that the South Atlantic Council also has to sign off on it because of some joint commercial management on commercial mackerel, but I may be mistaken. In any event, the lapp ad hoc is the one that should have folks interest and/or concern . It (the ap ) has the potential of being nothing more than a series of head-butting between opposing and sometimes bitterly opposing factions. If one takes an objective look at the make-up of said ap, it can be said that the deck is definitely stacked in the pro-catch shares favor. We'll just have to see what comes of it, but in my opinion, trying to do the "I told you so" bit over a strictly commercial issue is missing the point.

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
catch shares

Howdy,

"The meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. Monday, December 14, 2009 and conclude by 4:30 p.m.
During its meeting, the Advisory Panel will discuss issues related to the design, adoption, implementation, and evaluation of a reef fish limited access program for the commercial and recreational sectors."

Seems to say something about the rec sector here, no? I can see where someone could get confused here.

Levelwind,
"With an ever increasing number of fishers, using technology that's dramatically improving every six months or so, pursuing a stable or declining population of fish, there are probably only two ways to go."

The latest census data shows an 18% DECREASE in saltwater fishing participation in the years 1996 to 2006 - where did you get your info relative to the increase in fishers?

Tom

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Tom I believe there has been a decline nationwide but NOAA is factoring increased recreational effort into the reef fish equation. I can't quote chapter and verse on that but am fairly certain I've read it. I think the State of Texas has also shown increased participation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts