2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got off the plane. I am very tired so I will hit the high points.

1. Looks like the numbers are going to be corrected to reflect current conditions.

2. Looks like credits for 500,000 or so pounds for the last 3 years of Recreational TAC not being met will be added in. This would be 1,500,000 more pounds just for the recreational sector. The Commercial 1,500,000 pounds will be added in as they underfished their Quota as far as the record shows.

3. There is an option for Texas to be able to choose the days we want to fish. This means a separate zone for Texas.

4. Shrimping effort is off 50% on opening day. If it were off 25% we would get a 7,000,000 pound TAC or a 2,000,000 pound cut. Looking very good so far.

5. Recreational sales of Saltwater stamps in the hurricane ravaged states are down 50%. This means more credit for effort being lower.

6. This all means we should wind up with equal or better days on the water for the Recreational Sector.

The trip was long but the fight was worth it. We may have finally turned
some heads.The Council has long been dominated by a few East Gulf Special intrest IMHO. I was very to the point with my statement. I sent Tom Hilton a copy. I will be traveling tommorrow so maybe he can post it up. The meeting was like making sausage it wasn't pretty but the outcome is all we were after. The Baton Rouge Council meeting will be the test in about 90 days. We need to plan on having a good turn out there to show we are serious.

I hope this is in a format that can easily be understood. Feel free to call me on my cell phone in the am 361 463 1558 and I will be happy to answer questions. Max Reed a member of the Texas outdoor writers association was in Tampa. He made the remark he had never seen the Council do a 180 degree turn. Just maybe we did some good being very firm with them. I don't think they wanted a Texas Judge setting the Snapper rules for the Gulf of Mexico. When the rep from Louisiana asked Chairman Riechers to add them in on the Texas split on seasons he was told they could ask for different fishing times in the form of an amendment. They did not ask for the zone. Thank you Chairman Riechers. Mr. Reichers said Texas had been bringing up the issues RFA had addressed for six years and they should be acted on. We may have just placed a crack in the Granite Wall just like President Regan did the Berlin wall. I am very pleased with the outcome. Thanks again Mr. Chairman for hearing what we need here in Texas.

NEVER, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER Ever Blink. Guess what they just did at the Council level.

Jim Smarr
Texas RFA
[email protected]
361-463-1558

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Wow! a seperate zone for Texas. Thanks for all your hard work; looks like it's paying off.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
Thank you Jim for your hard work, help and dedication. It sounds like things are starting to turn for us a bit. Now if only we can do something more about the illegal commercial overfishing.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thank you very much Jim, you have done so much for Texas Rec's. It looks like we may finally be headed toward some improvement.

This shows you that a loud public voice can change things. It doesn't happen overnight, but we(rec fisherman) have been asleep for to long. I hope we can all learn a lesson from these events and apply it to all the issues out there. LETTER WRITING AND CALLS TO YOUR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Jim.....thanks for your hard work and dedication on this. Even when we spoke at the Port A. meeting I had the feeling that these feds were going to do whatever "they" wanted to do anyway. Hopefully I was wrong.

Thanks again......

Bobby

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
Thanks again for your tireless efforts! Great job! You and Tom have made a difference.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom did stop an eight day clock with the Commercial Overfishing Statement. They
are still trying to figure that one out. Many Grant "Hounds" will be out of work because
curing the illegal fishing would recover the snapper post haste. It will take them a couple grant cycles to find another thing to ride into the ground as there is good money in bad fishing. The bycatch reduction devices just got 2,000,000 dollars for a new study. Not one dime has been increased for law enforcement ie: grant hounds do not have a grant proposal yet to redirect efforts to Commercial Illegal overfishing.
PHd's do not have hard data as to any problem's. The Model only runs on 100%
pure PHd power no real time data unless the natives get restless.

We need to push the Letter to the Secretary to stop IFQ's. Please get it out to everyone.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Jim, what is an educated guess on the #'s off illegal fish retained per year by the commercials???

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the kind words. They make it worthwhile.

Jim Smarr

·
Banned
798 Posts
Good Job Jim...glad I joined the RFA. Now if my mechanic will give my boat back....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts