2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had different opinions about this magazine in the past, but I picked up the latest issue and I was glad to see several articles about trout conservation. Several of the writers are guides and are adopting the "keep 5" approach, alowing their clients to keep only 5 trout. One the guides also gives a $50 discount to release all trout. Another article also gave tips on the how to release big trout without causing harm. I especially enjoyed Scott Sommerlatte's article about tournament fishing, but that's a whole other topic. Anyway, it sounds like more and more fisherman are considering releasing more trout, especially the big females. That's good news!

·
It doesn't get much better!
1,414 Posts
I read the same issue about a week ago. Seems the first 3 articles are directing there attention to conservation. I felt the same way.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
I'm all for conservation, but I pity the guide that tries to MAKE me keep less than a legally allowed limit.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Podnuh, The guides that are adopting the "keep 5" approach will let you know when you book them. If you dont agree with the rule, then he wont take you fishing. The guides that are doing this are the top trophy trout guides in the state. Many of their clients use them to hunt trophy trout. They have obtained great reputations and can afford to filter out the "meat-hauler" clients. Or they will target redfish if you want to take some fish home to eat. I think its a great idea.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think it's a pretty good idea too. I would, however, keep 10 trout in one day as my limit as i have never had the opportunity to limit out before. I've gotten close several times with 8 fish or so, but never 10. If i was a guide like them, i would probably adopt that rule too after a while.

If you don't have a good rep though, you can't afford to not book clients.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i think conservation is a good idea but i get skunked more often than not so i keep whats legal. guides who practice keep 5 are also looking out for their future. simple math. peace

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Good articles for sure.

I believe EJ's position is to keep the political aspects of his mag to a minimum as he feels there are many other platforms out there where folks can discuss and spread the word on the politics side of the fishery.

Difinitely nothing wrong with some conservation thoughts sprinkled in here and there.

·
Majek Skinny runner
200 Posts
I think its a good mag. Except when they let someone write a two page add on a boat manufacturer he is obvisiously sponsered by.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Most of the time I struggle just to catch 1. If I caught five I would call the news! (I am boatless)

IMHO i am not a big fan of the magazine. I don`t feel that I am getting anything out of it.

2cool has more to offer than all of the magazines put together!!!! just my .02

·
Registered
83 Posts
fish aholic- how can you say you dont get anything out of the mag? if you read the articles they guides tell you what is working and why it is working. that is what makes you better at fishing. read, comprehend, understand, and APPLY. these guides are some of the best charter and tournament folks around. try to read the article and not just look at the pictures and it may improve your skills.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
?

Fish Aholic said:
Most of the time I struggle just to catch 1. If I caught five I would call the news! (I am boatless)

IMHO i am not a big fan of the magazine. I don`t feel that I am getting anything out of it.

2cool has more to offer than all of the magazines put together!!!! just my .02
How could you possibly not get anything out of GCC.

·
non-politically correct
7,301 Posts
I like the conservation ideas from mag. I'm doing my part for conservation, struggling to catch 5.

·
Sea Fox 240XT~225 Yamaha 4-Stroke
2,213 Posts
Just saying my peace

Man I am really unclear, I'll say, on this whole keep 5 approach. I have fished regularly for the past 5 years now and I have invested thousands of dollars into the sport of fishing, everything from boats to soft plastics to the latest wade fishing books and love the sport of fishing. What I dont understand is if the TPWD sets a daily bag limit to 10 trout per day and one over 25" and I catch say 10 20-22" trout, your telling me that I "should" throw 5 back? I dont think so. I always do my part to keep the beaches clean and keep our bays clean, everything from earth day to the crab trap clean up and stopping my fishing to pick up junk floating in the bay. I obey all boating and fishing laws and run a safe boat for myself, my family, and my friends. I have NEVER, NEVER caught a whole limit of trout, and my largest trout to date is a 22" that I caught in East Bay on Hanna's drifting. You think it is fair that if I caught a limit of edible sized fish that I should throw half back. Its hard enough for me to catch a limit, much less do it and throw half back. I would be ecstatic to catch a limit of trout, and if I caught a 25+ I would take a pic and return it to the bay. If I couldnt take a pic for whatever reason, I would prolly mount it. I hardly think that a few limits here and there are gonna deplete or hurt the trout population, look at the masacares that go on in Louisiana, and there limits are waaaaay more liberal than ours, and their trout population doesn't suffer.........Anyhow, been waiting a while to say my peace on this subject, and won't comment any further or respond to any posts........UNLESS OF COURSE SOMEONE WOULD INVITE ME TO GO CATCH A LIMIT OF TROUT! LOL Take Care Guys........

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
About the magazine articles; I must not comprehend well? It seems like the articles are recycled. Just my opinion.

When I was fishing down at the SLP Thursday night, there was hundreds upon hundreds of specks. They would not hit live shrimp? A few people caught some on speck rigs. It made me wonder? With that much fish in the water everyone should of had limits in no time at all?

Just keep 5?? If people only knew how many trout are out there!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
adpostel, the trend is that the guides are allowing their clients to keep 5. It may not be easy for you to catch 10 trout, but it's very possible if you hire a good guide. Also, LA doesnt have near the fishing pressure TX does, hence more trout.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
First let me say this, if a guide wants his customers to only keep five, that is his choice. Let me tell you this, that fishing has been outstanding in the galveston bay complex. There is no shortage of trout. TPW has a 10 fish limit. If there was a problem with the fish population or over harvesting, they would be the first to act.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gulf Coast Connection has good articles for people to read. There are articles in which we all might relate to or already know. Especially to thoses who are new to fishing salt water. Personally, reading any article or internet web site that offers information that might enhance my fishing is a bonus. That's why we live in America! All the information we can obtain before launching a boat and fishing the Gulf Coast can make all of us all better anglers. You can't complain about Kyle Tomek's articles. You have to admire a teenager with the knowledge and writing skills he has. I look for his article every month! I hope we all learn from all information we read and act upon the infromation provided. If you learn one thing out of an periodical it's worth the money spent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I enjoy GCC tremendously and buy it every month. I live in College station, love to saltwater fish but only get the chance sparingly. Any avenue to information or any literature I can grab on the subject, like this website and the magazine, I gobble up. They also have VERY useful tips if you take the time to read the article slowly and comprehend everything. I also agree on Kyle Tomek's piece, I always forget I'm reading a piece from an author younger than me when I'm reading his stuff. Oh...and just last week when I got the chance to fish the surf, I double checked what I had read from the Wbay, Xmas bay guide who writes monthly reports often on the surf. He mentioned "pink in the surf." Well I threw only pink in the surf and had one GREAT time that morning outfishing some guys throwing shrimp next to me... Double check on the magazine they have some great stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts