2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 23' Gulf Coast Beri-Side with a 200 vtec motor.
Any comments about the boat or motor? How shallow will the boat run? How does the boat handle in open water? Is this too much power for the boat?

Looking for a boat that can run in shallow bays..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
923 Posts
GC Variside

Yes the 23' variside is a great boat. I own a 22 ls but a buddy of mine has the 23' variside which I have ridden it. I dont know the exact numbers on that boat but mine will ride in 5 or 6" on plane and get up in 11-12". I'm not sure what a vtec is? Maybe you meant Evinrude E-tec or Yamaha Vmax? If so, good engine on either one. Max HP on a 23' variside is 225 which I would recommend so no a 200 is not too much power for this boat. Sponge

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'am a gulf coast owner but I don't have that model. My friend has a 24 variside and it a little on the heavy side. You are going to need that 200hp to push it and a good 4 blade for hole shot. I have a 08 20 Low side with a 150 E-tech and love it. People will say that the location of the center console makes it a little bumpy. I went from a jon boat to Gulf coast so I did not care about about all that.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I own a 23 Variside with a 200 HP Yamaha. it will run in about a foot of water. Need a couple to get up though. 200 hp will push it in the low 40's, cruise around 30. Not a shore burner but it can handle a little more chop than your real shallow running rigs. 200 hp is plenty for this hull. It is not a fast hull so I doubt you would gain much from a extra 25 hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts