2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't got a clue as where to start, but my 22 year old son wants to learn to play guitar and has requested this as his Christmas present this year. I guess my question is, what is the best starter guitar to purchase. Is there a self help lesson thats better than the rest, or should I spring for lessons too.
Thanks and any advice will be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
musiciansfriend.com has a fender starter kit... around 200 bucks i think, its cheap enough that if he doesnt stick with it then its not a total loss, but still nice enough that he can play it for years to come... i still pick mine up and give it a few strums and i have had it for about 5 or 6 years... its acoustic though not really sure what he is wanting! go for the lessons, atleast til he picks up the basics and can teach himself the songs he wants to learn...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-DG8S-Acoustic-Guitar-Value-Pack?sku=510705

·
Registered
156 Posts
same boat

hey flatoutfishin. my 10 year old wants a guitar also so we went to guitar center on nasa 1.those guys where really helpfull. we ended up getting him an electric guitar because they said as a new player its a little easier to learn on. I guess because you dont have to strum the strings as hard and what not due to the amp.My buddy at work recominded lighter strings also in the beginning so that it might be alittle easier to manipulate. but your son is alot older so thta my not be an issue.The one we bought was a fender strat. starter pack. It comes with the guitar,amp,strap,stand,patch cord,picks and a starter cd. we bought it on black friday with a 15% discount so after my son got a different strap and the lighter strings drive out was 230.00 for everything. I would recommend going to giutar center they are very nice guys and really a cool store.you can try any guitar they have. be carfull though if your like me before you leave those dreams of being a rock star will come back and youll find yourself wanting one too....LOl. i know it was lond winded but hope this helps.............heres the set we got my son.

RS67C

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...er-SP-10-Amp-Value-Pack-104486238-i1177837.gc

·
Team Ocean Kayak
81 Posts
Electrics are more forgiving on the left hand (Fret board hand). But I've found you have to be a lot crisper on your strokes.

I learned myself how to play when I was 26, on a Sonata acoustic. it was 100 bucks at Danny D's. Great little guitar. Still sounds great, and for 100 bucks, I can take it parties, camping, etc without worrying about it.

Depending on what kind of music (Country OR Western), there are Podcast Lessons out there... The way that worked best for me was to pick ONE song, 3 chords. I drove my neighbors nuts for about a month playing that one song before I branched out. I still don't know alot of the Hybrid chords, but I can play just about anything George Strait sings.

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
I have been picking for 40 years and have found that learning on a decent acoustic teaches you to play clean. Of course you pay some bread out for a decent box guitar, but it does not need to be plugged in.
Then again, most young people are more inclined to listen to and like eletric music.
So, there you go.

·
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!
5,368 Posts
The first question to ask is whether he wants an electric or an acoustic. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I myself have both but play the acoustic almost exclusively (esp. when I'm the only one playing).

For an acoustic, I can recommend the Takamine G-Series. I had the G340 as my second guitar (I play an Epiphone EF500RA now). The G340 is an excellent intermediate guitar and is a huge value. It's a lot of quality for what you pay.

I recommend going ahead with an "intermediate" guitar because, frankly, a lot of the low-end beginner-type guitars are of such poor quality that they can be frustrating and hold your son back. That was my experience with my starter guitar. The cost difference isn't sizable.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are tons of options out there. I would suggest asking him what he has in mind.

If he is a raw beginner he won't even have an idea what sounds good or not. So, in this event you and he are at a disadvantage. If you or he has a friend that plays that can help a lot. In my opinion many of the starter guitars are really poor with bad intonation and poor action. (If you don't know what intonation is or what a good action is, this is an example of your disadvantage.) This makes playing them a chore and they will never really sound good. But, this isn't a rule. Many cheap guitars sound really good.

So, buying a first guitar and buying your first horse has things in common. Usually your first is a mistake and you learn from it.

Best advice is have a friend that can play a little help you out. Or, at the store have one of the people there play it for you. Maybe you can get a feel about making the right choice.

Good luck!

PS, if you are made of money buy him the Taylor 914CE. If he hates it, you can give it to me. I would make a nice home for it.

·
RAIDER POWER!!!
5,696 Posts
If I had it to do all over again, I would learn on a classical acoustic. The neck is slightly larger, and your fingers have to stretch more. This makes playing on an electric, or a higher end acoustic even easier in later years.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Go acoustic!

I have been playing guitar for 17 years and I ain't too shabby, but I started on an electric. Like stated in some earlier posts, electrics are more forgiving and easier to sound good on, but if your son really wants to be technically sound, he should start with an acoustic. It will teach him to hit the notes more powerfully and more accurately. Like I said, I am ok, but I have a friend who has been playing about as long as me and he started on a cheap $50 used acoustic and he is nothing short of a guitar god now!! You name it, he can play it, note for note!

·
Pistol58
2,591 Posts
I haven't got a clue as where to start, but my 22 year old son wants to learn to play guitar and has requested this as his Christmas present this year. I guess my question is, what is the best starter guitar to purchase. Is there a self help lesson thats better than the rest, or should I spring for lessons too.
Thanks and any advice will be appreciated.
Here is the first guitar I got when I started playing...its a really nice sounding guitar. PM me if you want who I took lessons from...hes really good and the cheapest in town by FAR!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...coustic-Electric-Guitar-105497960-i1446879.gc

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
When my son wanted a guitar I got him a used acoustic and told him if he stuck to I'll get him a upgrade. Well he stuck to it and has about 4 electrics, 1 bass, 2 acoustics and a banjo and he's pretty dang good and has thanked me for getting him a acoustic first. The boy has a thing about strings. His first was @ 16 he's now 22

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you decide to get him an acoustic, make sure that you get a good set up. If the action is too high, the strings will hurt his fingers and he will quickly lose interest. I reccommend a visit to Guitar Stringer in Pasadena. Mr. Stringer and his son both sell and repair guitars and came make an acoustic play like butta! I bought a Jimmy Buffet Martin from him several years ago and will probably have this guitar for as long as I live.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Youtube is an invaluable tool for lessons these days. If there is a song that he really likes I guarantee there are lessons on how to play it on youtube -- everything from beginner to advanced!

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
My son's 19 and he started playing bass when he was 16 and now requested an acoustic guitar for Christmas. He went over to Guitar Center (on Nasa) and his lesson teacher helped him pick one out. He ended up getting a Seagull but they have an Ibanez (less expensive) that was his second choice. If you can afford lessons I would think that would really help out until he gets the basics down. However, I've seen lots of good videos and books out there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts