2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK gonna take a guided trip and want to know how the tip thing works. Do you have to tip or what? In my opinion if they want $600 for the trip and a $100 tip just charge $700, just my .02! But what is common practice, $100 $150 tip or what?

·
Often profane...occassionaly profound
2,736 Posts
Tip is absolutely optional...not like a restaurant where the server makes $2 an hour.

I think $100 tip is way overboard...trip of a lifetime territory.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
It just depends on the situation, and the client. One time in POC I put four Houston guys on 62 slot redfish in the surf, on gold spoons. They burned up my electric knife, cleaning their limits. And didn't tip a dime.

·
If it walks like a duck....
1,233 Posts
Its called fishing not catching so regardless if you boat fish or not don't base a tip off what you catch or don't catch. IMO, as long as a guide is working hard 15 - 20%.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Situational. I usually tip $100 on a trip that I go by myself assuming I got good service. If I'm splitting a trip I'll tip around $50-75. In my opinion, if I enjoyed myself and want to go again I'll tip just to ensure I get a spot next time and also better service than most people. You'll be surprised how much more people are willing to reveal and how much more you get out of subsequent trips when you tip someone for their time (and all things in life in general). So anyone who isn't tipping is more-so short changing themselves and all guides know this. It's typical to not get called back when you don't tip.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Situational. I usually tip $100 on a trip that I go by myself assuming I got good service. If I'm splitting a trip I'll tip around $50-75. In my opinion, if I enjoyed myself and want to go again I'll tip just to ensure I get a spot next time and also better service than most people. You'll be surprised how much more people are willing to reveal and how much more you get out of subsequent trips when you tip someone for their time (and all things in life in general). So anyone who isn't tipping is more-so short changing themselves and all guides know this. It's typical to not get called back when you don't tip.
So you hire someone to take you fishing. They do there job and you do not tip them they may not take you again. WOW

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its like going to a restaurant. They are going to charge you $20 for the food, but the person doing the work getting it to you and making sure you have everything you need to make the meal enjoyable isn't seeing a dime of the steak money. That's where you step in and show them how good of a job they did.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Its like going to a restaurant. They are going to charge you $20 for the food, but the person doing the work getting it to you and making sure you have everything you need to make the meal enjoyable isn't seeing a dime of the steak money. That's where you step in and show them how good of a job they did.
I can see tipping a deckhand, but tipping the guide for doing a good job is like tipping the Astros (players) when they win, think about it. Your talking about tipping the waiter not the owner, if a guide is working for someone then it mite be inline. Would you tip the resturant owner if it was good food....WW

·
Registered
172 Posts
I always tip 20%. Guides are hard working Men, and i have never met one that i wouldn't consider a stand up Guy. Plus, if you get to know a few personally, meaning you have used them several times, you can call them and ask questions. (movement, baits, area's to try)

In my opinion, I would tip a Guide before I would tip anyone else. They perform a service within something i love to do.

·
The older I get, the better I was.
2,830 Posts
I always try to tip a guide $100. Divide that $100 between the group that is going...

2 guys being guided on a fishing/hunting trip = $50 per person
4 guys being guided on a fishing/hunting trip = $25 per person

Other things I consider as well is if I have used any lures (lost) or shells for my gun, because I ran out, I will throw in the money to cover that stuff as well. But that is just me.

Let me just say that I may have had some descent first trips with guides, but I can honestly say I have always had better trips afterword's when I have gone out with that guide again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
15%+ If you plan to book the guide again and you enjoyed your day(s), he'll remember your good tip on your first outing. He'll also remember if you're a tightwad. Don't base it on what you caught, but on the effort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I commented once before on this situation on another forum and got my *** chewed by some other guides but I don't care. As I'm the Captain in the tipping situation my thoughts on this are that if the guide owns the boat and runs the trip he is making his money that way. If the guide is not the owner and is running for the owner then he should be tipped because the owner is making most of the money. In my situation I run offshore more and have a deckhand so he makes all tips. Every now and then some of my clients give me a tip and I'm very grateful. I run every trip wide open to catch the most and biggest fish no matter if I know I'm getting a tip or not. The tips have not kept me in business for 20+ years, its the service the clients get when they come fishing and spend their hard earned money. I hope this helps some of you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts