2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to align guides. Home made or store bought. Who has the coolest or easiest way to do this. Or is the eyeball method the best way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm eyeballing now and every time I look at them a different one looks crooked.

·
Registered
446 Posts
after 5 beers - they all look straight

actually - I eye ball mine - have a laser that I use for work - have tried it - and it usually confirms my line

·
Registered
643 Posts
I align my guides by using the V stands on my hand wrapper. I set a reel (curado) on small rods running the fishing line thru the guides all the way to the tip top, I use a small weight for tension. Of course, on the curado the line guide has to be in the center of the reel, adjustments are then made to the crooked guides. I also use a small Line leveler on top of the reel to make sure that the rod and reel are straight. Once all looks leveled including the guides then and only then I'll eyeball it. As I get older the more suckie my vision becomes so this method has worked for me so far. I hope this will help or you find an easier way. The other easiest way that I know of and don't have to worry about straight guides, go Acid Wrap it works great, I use this method also on my gorilla rods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just started trying to make my own rods also after seeing some of the stuff posted here. In my browsing I saw a little rig on ebay that I am considering trying out. Do a search for "Rod Building Centering Device"

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guy's. I had a feeling everyone was gonna say eyeballing is the best way. I guess I was hoping that someone had a gizmo, gadget that was absolutely perfect for alligning guides. The ebay centering device is cool, but you still need to keep the rod perfectly straight to the reel seat and still from rolling while marking. I do like the reel and line method mentioned by Fishtoys and think i'll try that on my next one. I'll just go get my eye's checked and keep on building...
Thanks again
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a little tool I built years ago to first attach guides to the rod in a stand. Then I use it to straighten the guides after wrapping them. A small Torpedo style level I cut then epoxied to an old reel seat. This is not an endorsement of the photog's website, but it's the only picture I have of the tool. I've made a couple of those over the years. That orange one is still making rods to this day, and I have literally made thousands of rod's with it. Getting the guides started off straight with this little tool is most of the battle. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.toshbrown.com/lightbox/i...Id=102&id=5205&category=gallery/craft&start=6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts