2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been studying on hiring a guide to show me areas I can reach in my boat where I would have a decent chance of catching something, and also give me some general guidance on bay fishing techniques. I'm wondering whether, with me supplying the boat, gas, bait, etc., I might reasonably expect some sort of discount from the regular rate and, if so, how much.

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
bluefin41 said:
I've been studying on hiring a guide to show me areas I can reach in my boat where I would have a decent chance of catching something, and also give me some general guidance on bay fishing techniques. I'm wondering whether, with me supplying the boat, gas, bait, etc., I might reasonably expect some sort of discount from the regular rate and, if so, how much.
ALOT of guides will discount to play tour guide and show you around in your boat , BUT it is better normally to pay full price and explain your situation , if you've just moved to an area they will normally run you around and let you plug some gps numbers and show you some decent spots , you will also catch some some fish and make a new friend , if the guide wont let you punch some numbers and show you around you dont want to deal with him anyway , let us know what area and we can help you out ...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not all guides will allow a handheld gps on their boat but some will....Check around and don't be afraid to ask questions before you book a guide......Ask impartial people for references....There are good guides and there are bad guides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning on renting a place on Salt Lake for a few days, and I'm interested in the Swan Lake, Italian Bend, and Port Bay areas, as well as any other places I can get to in my boat, a 17 ft. Triton.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple of posts as I was typing. The problem is that, with my boat, I just can't get to where guides normally go. I need to know some areas I can get to on my own. Catching fish is secondary.

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
Well I dont know those areas but I can tell you that a map (cant remember the name) they sell at academy has decent numbers along with decent info on places to fish and bay depths , learning the areas and just getting out there is alot of fun , take a gps with you to mark spots where you find decent fishing , keep a log on tides , time of day , bait activity , etc , a log will prove valuable someday down the road and you will start to find fish patterns for your area , good luck ...

·
Keep on Keepin on
301 Posts
Get a hotspot map and maybe ask around on the board to see if anyone fishes that area and would be willing to take you/ or go with you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I've got maps, and one of those Navionics map deals, but I figure I must be doing something wrong. My apologies to the PM sender. I just discovered that I can open, but can't reply to, a PM. Attractive proposal, but I really need to stay pretty close to the Rockport area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts