2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were sitting on the bank of the Guadalupe River this weekend. Steady catching 1.5-2# Kitties. When, BAMM!!!...My Ugly Stik bent over and commenced to losing line. Man I just knew I had a MONSTER Blue. We tussled for a couple of minutes in a give and take battle. When he finally surfaced to be netted
. It was a danged Stingray. Go figure. I've never seen anything like it. We are to far from the coast to have any saltwater up near us, and we were catching blues one after another. But, sure enough, I caught a Guadalupe River Stingray. Has anybody ever heard of these things being in freshwater? Is nothing sacred any longer?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Catfish said:
I have seen freshwater stingrays in Fish Tanks....
Same here. My Uncle had one in his freshwater tank, cant ever say as though Ive seen one in the fresh in a river.

NICE CATCH THO.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've Heard Of Them Things Caught In The Santee Tail Race As Far Up As Goose Creek, So Yeah They Can Make That River Run.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Man,

That saltwater intrusion is gettin' SERIOUS!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow

Say,
Maybe you should call the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. I 'm sure they would like to know about this.What did you do with it?But then they might want you to have a saltwater stamp ha ha .

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
river ray

Since y'all weren't too far from the coast, that's probably an odd catch but not rare.

I've seen mulllet jumping in the Nueces River directly below lake Corpus Christis during moderate releases of freshwater. The tailrace is at least 30 miles upriver from Nueces Bay.

Attachments

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Medulla:

That is interesting info. Thanks

Sean:

We are just south of Hwy 77 on that map. So we are quite a ways up the Guadalupe. But, based on the info Medulla posted, not far enough. Like I said before, I guess nothing is sacred. Guess I need to start making sure them are Blue cats and not Hardheads.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say this, but, I almost didn't get the hook out of his mouth before them youngin's started shooting it with their pellet guns.

Catch
Pellet-fill or Pulverize (whichever you prefer)
Release

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm not going to give you a hard time about it, that's for sure. It was a fish, afterall, not a man... Besides, you could have lied and said, "Of course we turned it loose" LOL... thanks for being honest. They catch those things in droves in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries... most folks call skate, rays, sharks and hardheads "critters" .... when they didn't catch anything they were trying to catch and they boated rays and such, they'll tell you they caught "critters." Personally, I'd rather catch hardheads all day than not feel something pulling back when I'm reelin' in the line... I don't blame the kids for wanting to shoot that ray full of holes... it looks like somethin' from outer space...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts