2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a group of about 20 girls heading up to New Braunfels to float the Guadalupe River this weekend for my bachelorette party. Anyone have any first hand info on the river's level? I'm okay with scraping my butt once in a while, but I don't want to have to get out and walk a bunch.

Thanks.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
Let's see 20 girls...bachelorette Party...Guadalupe River.....Where did you say yall were staying here in town again?? lol

The river is really low, I mean pitiful low, its barely flowing thru the low water crossing at the Common St bridge. The Comal is flowing but it is pretty low and slow right now, beware of officers on the water and the new rules in town, no boom boxes and no containers under 5 oz (Outlawed Jello Shots), the Jello Shot ban hasn't been implemented yet I think it needs another reading at city council. Also if you float the comal watch out for a old man with a video camera, he is the lame *** City Council person responsible for all this mess here in town.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The places you rent tubes from on the Guadalupe will shuttle you to the Comal. Thats your best bet.

20 women at the river...you sure you aren't a week late?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
5 oz??? shoot, just make those 6 oz jello shots, yeah!!!!!

hmm, there is a club in downtown sa or two that I see lots of bachelorETTE parties at. Club Rive and Howl at the moon, Rive is a pretty nice dance club and howl at the moon is a great piano bar, those musicians are amazing in there.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
LouieB said:
The places you rent tubes from on the Guadalupe will shuttle you to the Comal. Thats your best bet.

20 women at the river...you sure you aren't a week late?
Only certain outfitters can shuttle you onto the Comal, you have to be permitted to operate in town, be sure and check with the outfitter. Rockin R, River Road Campground are a few that can run both rivers.

That stripper float last weekend was a big flop LouieB.....it got blown so out of proportion by the media. Ended up being 7 girls and about 50 guys lol

The river is so low a shallow sport couldn't run in it lol

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that doesn't sound too good. According to that website the water is slightly up this week, but way below average. So, the outfitter will actually take us to the Comal or do we have to go to an outfitter there?

No boom boxes? Does that mean no music? Why? I see no reason for that. Jello shots are too big of a hassle anyway, and I have a feeling anything else I'll be embibing will be MUCH larger than 5 oz.

I was kinda hoping everyone would say that it was low, but still okay. That's a bummer.

So, whats the difference b/w the Comal and the Guadalupe?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
wading_fool said:
Only certain outfitters can shuttle you onto the Comal, you have to be permitted to operate in town, be sure and check with the outfitter. Rockin R, River Road Campground are a few that can run both rivers.

That stripper float last weekend was a big flop LouieB.....it got blown so out of proportion by the media. Ended up being 7 girls and about 50 guys lol

Not to hijack the thread...but did you make it last weekend? We were taking bets it wouldn't be any good. I'd rather hang out with 20 women at a bach. party than float with strippers.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
wading_fool said:

7girls and 50 guys

that's a ratio I wouldn't want to be involved in :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that's too low for me! ( A little product placement in an otherwise non-boat-related thread ;) ).

I was going to try to convince the soon-to-be Mr. Shallowgal that this is going to be an innocent fishing trip on the river......

This is somewhat true, I will be fishing beer out of the cooler afterall.

Didn't hear about the stripper float....soooo glad I didn't go last weekend instead!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The Comal is spring fed and stays at a more constant level and temperature than the Lupe. The Lupe depends on water from Canyon Lake. When the Lake is low, like now, they don't let any water out and down the river. The Comal is also a more family oriented river, because it winds thru Schlitterbahn and thru private homes and family rented condos. No campsites and lots of private property docks.

But they have some cool chutes and rapids...just what women in bikinis need to go thru.

shallowgal said:
Well, that doesn't sound too good. According to that website the water is slightly up this week, but way below average. So, the outfitter will actually take us to the Comal or do we have to go to an outfitter there?

No boom boxes? Does that mean no music? Why? I see no reason for that. Jello shots are too big of a hassle anyway, and I have a feeling anything else I'll be embibing will be MUCH larger than 5 oz.

I was kinda hoping everyone would say that it was low, but still okay. That's a bummer.

So, whats the difference b/w the Comal and the Guadalupe?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I don't know who told you it was slightly up.....we ain't had any rain and they aren't releasing any out of canyon but the bare minimum, looks even lower than last week to me, they do crank it up somewhat on the weekends, but it doesn't do any good at the level it is at. The comal is a nice cold river, constant 72 degrees :smile: You have the Tube Chute, a concrete chute the you funnel thru and it shoots you out into white water at the end of it, then below that you have stinky falls (don't float over the dam its not a nice experience right now, take the little chute they built around it) then below that you have old Warnecke Rapids. All in all the Comal is a much lazier float. I will not say ye or ney on the music, they get kind of touchey on that subject right now. There are about 6 outfitters in New Braunfels that put you on the river. Landa Falls is the longest float of all of them, it starts at the Wurstfest grounds. The only one I know of on River Road that will or can put you on the comal is River Road Campground.

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
As an alternative, I suggest Barton Creek Pool in Austin. It is a HUGE springfed pool with plenty of area to lounge around. And their's lots of good clubs on Sixth street and in the warehouse district a few miles away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts