2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well I was wating for someone more knowlrdgable to answer this one but I would say the VA Fogg wreck might be a good place. I'm curious about this myself and would like to get a grouper before school starts back.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
well i take a stab at this one. live bait or cut bait doesn't make much of a difference. all you have to do is get a bait right in front of one. you can usually tell if you have one because if you are near the bottom and near their hole it will come out and take your bait and be back into its cover before you know what hit you. you then reel up and rerig and hope it will bite again. the key to catching is the same as with amberjacks get them coming your way and they are yours. don't turn them and they break you off. they can be found almost anywhere in the gulf in up to 800 ft of water or as shallow as the jetties. most are caught by snapper fishermen and not many people fish for them specifically. most rigs and structure have some around them. the grouper family is very large and it is hard to indentify them all. good luck on your quest.....rick

·
Registered
642 Posts
McGolfer, you are one of the guys whose posts I always learn something from. Dissapator, I'm salivating over your grouper pics!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
the Fogg would be a great place for grouper, but you gotta be quick like McG said. They get back in that wreck quick.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A good Capt. once told me there is only one Big grouper in a specific spot. They are very territorial. Once you catch one that will be it until another moves in to that spot in a month or so. Have any of you ever caught more than one 20+lb grouper in the same area? I have always only seen one if that per area. I know we have caught smaller groupers in the same area but let me know if you have caught the big ones together.

kg

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
pulled this beast off of Sunrise.....found two of my leaders in his mouth from breakoffs before I finally got 'em......you have to get their heads turned and keep the heat on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
So I assume your catching them right up on the rig? Not 50-100' off.? Sounds like a job for a 50 class rig to horse them off right away.

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts