2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked some green beans yesterday. Steamed almost 2 pounds. Sure do like steamed beans. Been picking too many to eat and gave these away to some ladies at the park where I walk in the mornings. Blue lake bush beans. Also have a small bed with bush beans on the bottom with luffas and chinese red noodle beans on top. The ladies like the luffas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you live near Conroe, I share with people. I really like to eat fresh vegetables and don't freeze many. I do freeze berries. Picked 9 gallons of awesome blackberries this year. Have a couple more berry plants going in the ground. I gave some berries and sold some. Some people insisted on paying and I said ok. I will be planting 300 plus Texas Legend onions in November. Still eating on the onions. I grew too many chinese beans and tossed in compost pile. I usually plant beans where I will have green beans for a while and then chinese beans. If you want a lufa I will be having some spare ones. Looks like more than 20 so far hanging. You can fold these over and hot glue to a wooden dowel. Makes a good back scratcher.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you live near Conroe, I share with people. I really like to eat fresh vegetables and don't freeze many. I do freeze berries. Picked 9 gallons of awesome blackberries this year. Have a couple more berry plants going in the ground. I gave some berries and sold some. Some people insisted on paying and I said ok. I will be planting 300 plus Texas Legend onions in November. Still eating on the onions. I grew too many chinese beans and tossed in compost pile. I usually plant beans where I will have green beans for a while and then chinese beans. If you want a lufa I will be having some spare ones. Looks like more than 20 so far hanging. You can fold these over and hot glue to a wooden dowel. Makes a good back scratcher.
Sounds great!!

·
Taking shots at fish
2,252 Posts
Rolande was a great french filet green bush bean for me this season. I’d plant it again. Seemed to produce one heavy flush after another. Long straight tender french filet beans that wouldn’t tend to blow up into the enormous and stringy size very quickly. Got to a good eating size quickly, then seemed to hold there for a few days. From late in April into July, it was Katy bar the door. I think the hot nights and crazy amounts of rain on the coast here finally shut them down. Emerite was once again a good pole bean, stronger earlier in the season. Carminat, a purple filet, didn’t do quite as well, but still was productive overall. Tamara was a romano type pole bean. It was pretty good on production, but I planted it a little later so didn’t get as many since it was out there as long. Really made good pickled green beans. Big and meaty pickled beans. Canned about 20 half pints of those. Ate plenty fresh of them all, especially the filet types and my mom blanched and froze a bunch of those. From mid April into July, it was a good year for green beans.

Didn’t plant any Asian long beans this go around. Now Solarizing the soil with clear plastic for the rest of this summer to kill stuff, hopefully mostly the nematodes. All I have is one small newish bed going with okra, bitter melon and a Japanese winter squash. Nematodes have not invaded that one yet. Bed with okra got planted in mid May. Just now starting to produce. Hill country Red and Jing Orange.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karstopo where did you get the Rolande seeds at? Would like to try some. I like the blue lake bush but I usually plant another type to see if it will do better here. Those chinese red noodle beans went freakin crazy. Never seen them produce so many beans and they are still producing some. I need to pick some today I left on for seed.

·
Taking shots at fish
2,252 Posts
Renee’s Garden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts