2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cazadora
2,440 Posts
I wrote NMFS...actually received a response to my Q re where the AJ data came from that led to the closure. It was not catch data from TX,LA, AL, it was East coast data that was applied to our GOM fishery. TW

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
Tom,
Can you forward that info to me please? The recent closure of a HUGE area off of the east coast (Florida to North Carolina) to rec/comm fishing for Red Snapper, Snowy Grouper, Blueline Tilefish, Yellowedge Grouper, Speckled Hind, Misty Grouper, Queen Snapper and Silk Snapper should be a wakeup call to us here in the Gulf, especially if they are now using data from east coast fisheries to close down Gulf fisheries.
[email protected]
Thanks,
Tom

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
The reason the recreational quota was met or exceeded was because the powers-that-be gave the commercial fishermen an extra 10% of the TAC at the direct expense of the recreational anglers. Now whether the rec #'s are correct is another argument entirely.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wrote NMFS...actually received a response to my Q re where the AJ data came from that led to the closure. It was not catch data from TX,LA, AL, it was East coast data that was applied to our GOM fishery. TW
So season does open on the 1st with same bag limits?I have not recieved any information in writing:cheers:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Check the SERO website. I think the new (2010) season and bag limits are on there. If any doubt, call them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Last I heard was opening 1-1-10. I am also told that the recreational season closure for 2010 is being discussed by the powers to be and the current thought / idea / whatever you want to call it is that most likely they will propose a 3 month closure for mid summer starting some time in May or June.

Mont ???? Have you heard of any side bar discussions about this with the council yet?

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
When this gets sorted out make it known. I have not seen it clearly stated. I do not even know where to look.... its not in my TPWD book.

R

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I think this sorts it out. It is copied from Fisheries Bulletin 09=069 issued 12/16.

"Greater Amberjack Closures
The commercial and recreational closures for greater
amberjack in the Gulf end December 31, 2009, at
midnight, local time. Both sectors were closed due to
meeting their 2009 quotas. Regulations require any
quota overage to be subtracted from the next year's
quota. When final catch statistics for 2009 are compiled,
NOAA Fisheries Service will issue Southeast Fishery
Bulletins informing fishermen of any adjustments to the
quotas and any resulting early closures for the 2010
fishing year."

I had to read it twice, the language that the CLOSURE ENDS is a little easy to misread. The closure was only for 09, in other words, although there will likely be another in 2010 if the quota is overfished. So go fishing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts