2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Man, I wish we had a Costco in Victoria. I'd be on this like a duck on a junebug.

Edit: Shoot, this is an online to your door price. I am on that like a duck on a junebug.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Looks like a good deal for a good brand of generator, I just wish it were a little bigger. It's only 3800 running watts and I'd like a little more than that. Overall though that's a good price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wolf6151 said:
Looks like a good deal for a good brand of generator, I just wish it were a little bigger. It's only 3800 running watts and I'd like a little more than that. Overall though that's a good price.
What do you need to run? I had a 5000 btu window unit, a 8000 btu room unit, fridge, deep freeze, tv, sat box and a few lights running on my Yamaha 3000 inverter. These units use the on board battery when compressors are starting to give a boost. That 3800 could run everything I would ever need in a 20yr+ event (knock on wood). Good, Clean, Quite power. Can't beat an Inverter IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
petersr2 said:
What do you need to run? I had a 5000 btu window unit, a 8000 btu room unit, fridge, deep freeze, tv, sat box and a few lights running on my Yamaha 3000 inverter. These units use the on board battery when compressors are starting to give a boost. That 3800 could run everything I would ever need in a 20yr+ event (knock on wood). Good, Clean, Quite power. Can't beat an Inverter IMO.
And you are right about it being a Robin-Suburu.It looks like the exact same model.

http://www.wisesales.com/RG4300iS.html

·
Registered
390 Posts
Invertor

Ok - I'll bite. What's the difference between an invertor generator and a regular one?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm no expert, so someone more knowledgeable will correct this......Inverter: (usually) full or slightly modified sine wave power, constant voltage--sometimes called "clean" power. Easy on computers, TV's and sensitive electronics.

Cheap generators (like mine), will run most stuff, but can cause things as minor as poor reception on a TV to as major as overheating and damage to expensive appliances. Fine for emergencies and for running things like fans. Their output is usually "square" and voltage wills sometimes drop with surge demands. Note: Some cheap inverters also output square waves, so YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is a copy and paste quote from some guy name Wayne Dohnal from another group:

The portable inverter generators are very different from conventional generators. In general, for the same power capability they are smaller, lighter, quieter, use less fuel, produce higher quality power, and cost more. Some of the cost is due to the newness of the technology, and some is due to added soundproofing that the portable conventional generators don't generally have.

The biggest mechanical difference is that the inverter generators don't have a separate engine and alternator. Instead, the engine and alternator are integrated and there is no separate flywheel, with the alternator replacing the function of the flywheel. The alternator is a 3-phase device that produces a rather lousy waveform. The engine speed varies so the alternator's frequency also varies. The electronics module first changes the AC to DC (about 170 volts), using this to power a sine wave inverter to produce the genset's AC output. The electronics module varies the speed of the engine so with low AC loads it runs slower, significantly reducing noise and fuel consumption. At full load, the fuel consumption and noise are about the same as with a conventional generator with the same soundproofing. As I mentioned earlier, most of the inverter generators have additional soundproofing.

The inverter generator's AC output (for at least the major brands) is a very high quality sine wave and the frequency is always constant. Some of the inverter generators can be paralleled to like units to double the available power output. Due to the mechanical and electrical differences, an inverter generator will handle a smaller load increase with less disruption to the power output than with a conventional generator. With a large load increase, the inverter generator's lower rotating mass is a liability and the power disruption will be greater than with a conventional generator. This issue is often significant when an air conditioner starts up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yet mine (as previously stated Yamaha 3000 with boost http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaEF3000iSEB.html) ran two portable AC units, fridge and deep freeze compressor without issue. So I am not sure how a compressor kicking on causes issues. It has an overload light on the board, so if it was blinking I would unplug something. This happened when I was running the dishwasher with all other appliances. The heating element of the dishwasher caused an overload. I unplugged the dishwasher, restarted the generator and everything was back to normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts